Scorched Wort with Heatsticks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have heard some talk of heatsticks scorching wort.

Doing a search on the net, it seems that most heatstick users say it won't happen. One guy apparently managed to melt a hole in his cooler MLT, though.

Is the whole heatstick scorching of mash/wort a myth?

:confused:

I just ran a 1.061 oatmeal stout through my 120V 2KW kettle and didn't have a hint of scorching.

Is the whole heatstick scorching of mash/wort a myth?

:confused:

Likely, yes. IF you confined a small amount of wort in a closed area around a heatstick you would likely scorch it, however boil kettles are NOT small closed systems.

Think about it; as the wort (which is large majority water) contacts the heatstick, it is quickly heated which creates a churning, dynamic, turbulent environment around the heating element, causing the heated wort to be quickly driven away from the element, replaced by wort which is less heated. This happens repeatedly, even during the boil.

I doubt seriously that heatsticks will scorch wort.

I had one case of scorching wort with a 2000W heatstick, but it was after having a really badly stuck mash (damn RYE!) and I ended up with a lot of protein and grain bits in the wort.

I should make a lower wattage heatstick, 2000W is kind of overkill when I'm also using the stove burner.

2 kw stick user here...never had a problem. I do mainly mid gravity brews so I can't comment on something w/ a heavy grain bill.

I also use the sticks in coolers to heat strike and sparge water. I use a tight wrap of copper wire around the tip of the stick to avoid the possibility of it making prolonged contact w/ the cooler wall. Some others use a glob of silicone on the end of the stick, but I prefer the copper??

Back