Particles at the bottom of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoob

Reaction score
I just started to get into home brewing and have done two batches that were from a pack (Brewers Best). Both of the batches had small light colored particles that sat at the bottom of the bottles a day after bottling. Does anyone know what can cause this and how I can fix the problem? I need to know soon because we are on our third batch and we're going to bottle tomorrow.

thanks

Sounds like yeast/ sediment. With homebrew you will always get some degree of sediment on the bottom of your bottles. If you are getting a lot you may need to let it sit longer in the fermenter, be more careful siphoning, or start using a secondary. These will all help with decreasing the sediment.

Thanks for the response, we have never done any secondary fermenting before so I am going to check that out. Also what will letting it sit longer in the fermenter do?, we usually leave it in for a week regardless of when it stops bubbling.

There shouldn't be any problem with leaving it for 2 weeks in the feremter, as long as you have enough fermenters to keep you happy, leaving it for an extra week might settle the sediment a litttle better and less likely to be disturbed while you are bottling. Also moving the fermeter as little as possible before bottling is a good thing so you don't disturb the sediment.
Have fun
Alx

When you move it to your siphon area, (where you put it in your bottling bucket) let it rest an hour or twow before siphon.

But...assuming you use priming sugar when you bottle, you will always have a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, no matter how carefully you siphon. This is one reason why most home brewers drink from a glass, mug or whatever. This way you can decant when pouring.

Back