Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They took an X-ray yesterday. Nothing torn so far, just inflamed like a SOB and it hurts to bend it. Advil, Aleve, and Anacin do nothing. He prescribed some heavy duty anti inflammatory called Relafen and some Vicoden for night time. I must say, I slept like a baby last night. :D

I need to keep off it for the most part. It is getting better through. It needs to so I can drive to Dallas on Monday.

They took an X-ray yesterday. Nothing torn so far, just inflamed like a SOB and it hurts to bend it. Advil, Aleve, and Anacin do nothing. He prescribed some heavy duty anti inflammatory called Relafen and some Vicoden for night time. I must say, I slept like a baby last night. :D

I need to keep off it for the most part. It is getting better through. It needs to so I can drive to Dallas on Monday.

Hey Ed, My cast is off and I'm only using one crutch now. Ya wants me to ship the other one out to you?:D

Next time I'm in Austin, I might have to come check this Mofo out... As you know, Ed, my brother lives pretty close to you.

They took an X-ray yesterday. Nothing torn so far, just inflamed like a SOB and it hurts to bend it. Advil, Aleve, and Anacin do nothing. He prescribed some heavy duty anti inflammatory called Relafen and some Vicoden for night time. .

So how does Vicoden go with Apfelwein ? :drunk:

I was, but it concerned me about blowing insulation clogging them, so I'm going with an under shingle roof vent called The Edge.

intake-theedge-xlg.jpg

That looks expensive, and like a lot of extra work. They sell a styrofoam chute that you staple to the under side of the roof, butted to the overhang. Scroll down to the soffit air chutes. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=gML&sa=N

Wildwest450 brings up the good point that although you're injured, you can still be planning next steps... I hope all goes well with your ankle Ed but sliver lining and all that... Plan Plan Plan...

Got some work done today. It's now finally ready for shingles.

Finished the soffit and fascia boards and some trim.

BrewhausBuild50.jpg

BrewhausBuild52.jpg

The notch for the tree was a PIA but we managed.

BrewhausBuild51.jpg

BrewhausBuild54.jpg

I still have more trim to do, but my main concern was to get it shingled. I need to get some flashing and drip edge and I'm good to go for next Saturday morning.

Here's the back with the trim installed. I ripped a ten foot 1x4 piece of cedar with the new Bosch 4000 table saw. What a piece of equipment. Made my own 1x2 trim pieces.

BrewhausBuild53.jpg

I'll work on more trim pieces over the week, but I'm planning on getting the shingles going first thing Saturday morning.

Lots of caulking to do too!

Absolutely outstanding work Ed! The notch around the tree is well done. Do you need to do anything to make sure there's not too much water collecting around the foundation at that point, or is it not worth worrying about?

Looking great Ed!

Just a quick one here.. I suggested this before, but I don't think you replied.

Have you considered steel roofing? No Drip edges, goes on SUPER quickly, you can even order it cut to length, so you don't have to cut anything, all you need is a ridge cap, and it sounds awesome when it rains!. I believe it will even outlive shingles. Not sure about the cost though.

Absolutely outstanding work Ed! The notch around the tree is well done. Do you need to do anything to make sure there's not too much water collecting around the foundation at that point, or is it not worth worrying about?

Thanks.

I'm putting rain gutters on and collecting the water for irrigation.

Looking great Ed!

Just a quick one here.. I suggested this before, but I don't think you replied.

Have you considered steel roofing? No Drip edges, goes on SUPER quickly, you can even order it cut to length, so you don't have to cut anything, all you need is a ridge cap, and it sounds awesome when it rains!. I believe it will even outlive shingles. Not sure about the cost though.

I thought about it, but we want it to blend in, so we have purchased midnight green shingles.

For some strange reason, once I got my kegerator in operation all of my other projects just kind of got put on hold.

Ed, you inspire me to actually do things. Hope your healed up enough to amaze us with more....

I can't freaking wait for more...building stuff and watching other build stuff is awesome

Tomorrow will be spent priming the trim, installing drip edge, felt paper, a ridge vent and shingles. It will be a busy morning, but I have some friends and neighbors coming over to assist in it and help drink some beer afterwards.

Got started this morning around 7:30 painting primer on the fascia board before installing the drip edge. We cut the top for the ridge vent and got started on shingles around 9 th is morning.

BrewhausBuild60.jpg

I persuaded my 13 year old son to help out.
BrewhausBuild61.jpg

Virtuous loaned me a Hitachi Coil Nail Gun, so I picked up a box of 7,200 galvanized roofing nails and we went to town.
BrewhausBuild62.jpg

BrewhausBuild63.jpg

This roof turned out to be a bit more steep once you put felt and shingles on.

We're digging the Midnight Green color of the shingles. It will go good with the Bavarian dark brown paint we're putting on it later.

BrewhausBuild64.jpg

Nothing some rope can't fix.
BrewhausBuild65.jpg

Finally some shade to work in.
BrewhausBuild66.jpg

We called it a day with almost half of one side finished. We will get started much earlier next time to beat the 100+ heat plus what the roof reflects.
BrewhausBuild67.jpg

We got the tarp back on and tied down for a couple weekends. Next weekend I'll be enjoying the company of several HBT'ers at NHC in Zinzinnati.

Thanks Virtuous for the coil nail gun. That thing rocks in slapping in shingle nails.

Geez Ed, what's taking so long? If I were there to help it would be finished by now!

Your beer I mean, not the brewhaus :tank:

Just kidding, it's looking great!

Worked on some cedar trim today around the door and window. I have to wait till I get the ceiling installed over the porch to put up my sides. Man is it hot today. 97 in the shade.

BrewhausBuild70.jpg

BrewhausBuild71.jpg

Looks great Ed. You gotta finish up the exterior and get that electrical and AC unit installed so you can work on the inside in cool temps!

just read this whole thing. man is that brewhaus comin together quick

Aint no thing brother! Hand nailing in the hot sun SUCKS ;) I bet those dark shingles get nice and roasty quick!

Aint no thing brother! Hand nailing in the hot sun SUCKS ;) I bet those dark shingles get nice and roasty quick!

Yep. They look good, but I was wearing gloves later in the day. We're going to have to get started much earlier in the morning to finish this puppy.

That coil nailer just goes pop pop pop. Sweet! Thanks again!

Ugh, I hauled up over 30 squares (about 3,000 sq ft) of shingles when redid my roof! I was in pretty good shape after that project :D If I didn't have a coil nailer I probably would have thrown myself off the roof in despair!!

Man what a great post. I just read all 40 pages, thanks Ed. I'm not sure which is the greater acheivement, the brew hut or Apfelwein.

You should run for President!!

Back