Bending out a keg skirt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
I have a sanke keg that has a slightly dented skirt, but it otherwise fine. Someone must have smacked it on the ground at a 45 degree angle, so the skirt it bent inward.

I'd like to bent it back into place - Its easier to tip if pushed towards that dent. Is there anything I can use to fix it? I tired to use pipe wrenches but that didn't work out.

Good luck with that. My first keggle had a nice ugly dent I tried to hammer it. Spent 10 minutes on it and said **** it.

See if you can get a car jack/ hydraulic press in between the good side and the bent side, and Jack it to remove the bend, and hope it doesn't bend the good side outwards. Maybe put the good side up against something immovable.....

I wouldn't have considered bending it back into place if it was really bad. It's just asking me to fix it!

Would applying heat help at all?

Yes it would. Not sure if a household propane torch will get hot enough in a wide enough spot to make a difference, but its worth a shot. If you or know someone how has a oxy acetylene set up that would be better.

A bottle jack would work great with a some heat. The heat will discolor the stainless but you can remove the discoloration with Scotchbrite metal finishing pads.

It can be done, you need tons of force with a hydraulic jack porta power type device, literally tons of force. Cheaper and easier to look for a new keg unless you have some tools.

Use a 18" or 24" pipe wrench to unroll the dented area back into alignment, then hammer the bulge flat. Having done this during keg conversions in the past, it was the easiest method found to do keg skirt repairs. If the skirt is flattened against the bottom then a cut in the rolled section makes it possible to wedge and roll the skirt back into alignment.

Latest posts

Back