Milk Stout - Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UserBanned

Reaction score
I started my (Brewer's Best) Milk Stout 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary. I have some concerns due to my gravity readings, and some added sugars that may have thrown everything off. Can you help?

Ingredients:
*Fermentables
6.6 lb. Special Dark LME
.5 lb Lactose
.5 lb Maltodextrin
1 lb. Munton's Light DME (Not part of kit)
*Specialty Grains
8 oz. Caramel 120L
4 oz. Roasted Barley
4 oz. Dark Chocolate
*Hops
.5 oz. Warrior
.5 oz. Willamete

So the kit says the OG should be between 1.057-1.061.
My OG reading was 1.068, probably due to the additional dry malt that I added. The kit says FG should be between 1.020-1.024.

My 1st SG was 1.036
My 2nd SG was 1.034

These were taken at 2 weeks in the primary. I then racked to my secondary and it's been in there for an additional week. I just took a 3rd SG and it's still at 1.034.

Did my fermentation stall or does this sound right due to the additional DME that I added? When I tasted the sample at my 1st SG, it was looking good. When I tasted it tonight, it was a bit more bitter and maybe stale tasting.

Should I let it sit longer? I was thinking I might bottle tomorrow and see how it turns out in a few weeks after I let it bottle condition.

Any thoughts? Help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
Jay

PS: This is only my 2nd batch, so I'm still learning.

Lactose doesn't fully ferment. Was this a 5 gallon batch? Kinda helps to figure gravities when you know how much water you are mixing with your sugars. If you did a 5 gallon batch, your sg should have been 1.071. FG should be 1.018 with a 60% attenuation. All that aside. Does it taste good? For your second batch, you're doing great. What type of yeast and how much did you pitch? Was the yeast expired? There are so many aspects of this hobby that can be overwhelming at times. If it tastes good and nobody chimes in as to a solution to get the yeast going again, just bottle it and enjoy in 4 weeks. Keep trying, keep trying and, oh yeah, keep trying

Thanks djsethall.

Yes, it was a 5 gallon batch. It tasted really good @ 2 weeks. Now that it's been in the secondary for an extra week, I thought it tasted a little "off". But I'm afraid there is not much more I can do at this point. I do not know the specific type of yeast as it was just in a packet that was supplied with the kit. it was not expired, and it was only one sachet. The owner of my LHBS said anything over 1.065 should get double the yeast. This I didn't do. Oh, and it was being stored at a constant 65 degrees with zero light. I think I might just bottle. I mean, it didn't taste disgusting. I've had "professional" beers that I thought tasted worse!! (Not a fan of IPA's).

If anyone else can chime in with ideas, suggestions, etc...I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks again.
Jay

Ok, so I just got back from my LHBS and they said my fermentation is stuck. They recommended re-yeasting with Wyeast 1450 Denny's Fav. He said using a traditional Ale yeast on a milk stout should be ok since it won't impart flavors that could throw off a Milk Stout. So later today I will add that in and see how it goes.

Waiting sucks. LOL.

Back