Real Wort Starter modification question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
Read up on the real wort starter and was wondering if I could tweak it to match my system. It seems the no chill guys fill a flask after their boil is complete and use that as their starter base. I am not a no chill guy, so can I just fill up a flask from my brew kettle at the very beginning of the boil before any hop addition? figure I could just put that in a couple sanitized bottles and cap them and stash them in to the fridge to use as a starter in my next batch...

I'm not a real wort starter guy either, but I believe the "real" means it comes from it's actual wort from the beer that it will ferment.

Nothing wrong with bottling up some wort for starters, but hey, it's not "real". ;)

Doesn't really matter if it's before or after the hop additions. I put a jar and lid in a hop bag, and let it sit in the boiling wort for about fifteen minutes to sanitize them. Then pull the whole thing out, dip the jar back into the hot wort (with some tongs), put the lid on and call it good. Be sure to use a jar that can withstand the heat like a canning jar.

I've never had a problem with my starters using this method.

Back