check valves needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I'm looking at building a CO2 manifold for my fridge, because I am ready to have 3 kegs on tap at a time...

Are check valves really needed on the CO2 manifold valves?

I read where they say it keeps beer from getting in the CO2 lines....

Just curious.....

Chad

I'm looking at building a CO2 manifold for my fridge, because I am ready to have 3 kegs on tap at a time...

Are check valves really needed on the CO2 manifold valves?

I read where they say it keeps beer from getting in the CO2 lines....

Just curious.....

Chad

Well, have you ever had beer in your gas lines? I have. It sucks having to take them apart. I guess if you're really careful about never filling your keg up to the gas-in dip tube, then you shouldn't have problems...but once or twice, I've added enough to get up to that dip tube because I didn't wanna waste beer; the first time you hook that sumbitch up to a split gas system where any of the individual kegs have a difference in pressure from the other kegs on the line, then the one with the greater pressure, if there's enough beer to reach close to the gas-in dip tube, will send beer up the gas line.

Now, most of the manifolds I've seen (I just bought a 3-way manifold and installed it the other day) have check valves built in. Are you building yours from scratch?

I have had the beer come back up the gas dip tube as well. I think I'm going to take and cut all my gas dip tubes down to 1/2" I see no reason for it to be 2" long. (I'm also installing check valves at my regulators) Anyone see why that wouldn't work?

Well, have you ever had beer in your gas lines? I have. It sucks having to take them apart. I guess if you're really careful about never filling your keg up to the gas-in dip tube, then you shouldn't have problems...but once or twice, I've added enough to get up to that dip tube because I didn't wanna waste beer; the first time you hook that sumbitch up to a split gas system where any of the individual kegs have a difference in pressure from the other kegs on the line, then the one with the greater pressure, if there's enough beer to reach close to the gas-in dip tube, will send beer up the gas line.

Now, most of the manifolds I've seen (I just bought a 3-way manifold and installed it the other day) have check valves built in. Are you building yours from scratch?

+1 It sucks big time. I have a clear system from the regulator to a stainless T with two lines going to stainless crosses, each with 3 lines going to kegs. I made the mistake of connecting a gas line to unknown keg at a party and watched in horror as a molasses smelling porter ran through lines. It was like watching a scifi movie blood transfusion. I managed to stop it before it reached the regulator.

Now I never connect a foreign keg without first drawing off a pint of beer.

Good point Edwort. Get clear gas tube. I think I got beer into my regulator through a red hose a month or so ago. I've cleaned out the hoses and the reg still works thankfully, but I don't want to repeat that.

You could also put a single check valve inline just after the reg. You don't need one for all the split out lines. I don't see a need for valves on the manifold either. If you want to stop the flow to any keg, just pop the disconnects.

Check valces are dirt cheap. I got mine at USPLASTICS.com
and installed them on each of my gas lines. It's about a 5 minute ordeal, but well worth it.
BackFlow1.JPG

BackFlow4.JPG

Yeah, I saw where some places had manifolds with them, like MoreBeer, and places that didn't, like AHS.....

I will be ordering some today...

Thanks for the advice guys....

Ok, I bought a Cornelius double regulator on ePay for like $50 including shipping (like this one, sans ball valves).
dbl-gas-reg.jpg

It has the check valves (like this), so I was excited.
check-valve.jpg

However, I can't seem to find a ball valve to work with this thing. My LHBS only has male threaded ball valves and Lowe's wasn't of any help. I don't want to attach it without any shutoff valves, any suggestions?

Oh, and I need it working ASAP. I have a batch that's done fermenting and it needs to be served August 2.

Ach so!
I bet the ones I was looking at at the LHBS had built in check valves. I'm glad the problem is simpler than I was making it.

Back