Do you belong to a homebrew club?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you belong to a homebrew club?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Proofman

Reaction score
I have really fallen into homebrew like a hog into slop. I’m absorbing info like a sponge. I want to keep learning. My LHS is run by super nice fellas and they are starting to consider me a regular (sometimes I’m there every 2 or 3 days). The LHS is the center for the local homebrew club. I have to say, I’m not “club joining” person. What little experience I have with them the people running the club seemed like arrogant s%#ts. How many here belong to one?

There's one in Tucson but no club joining for me. HBT covers 95% of what would be benificial from a club IMO. The president / creator of the Tucson club resigned stating BS. (He was a member here for a while and PM'ed me that info).

Let's see...I live 32 miles from work. Local club meets on Sunday 2 miles from my job...why would I take that drive in if I don't have to?

I was a member in '97 for a while. I won Best of Show and Best of Style in their Annual Brew-Off with over 100 brews entered. First and only time I've entered a contest.

Why push it?:D

Yeah. Lincoln Lagers.

Joined this last january if for no other reason than to meet like minded people where i live. it is also another reason to drink beer, like i really needed that.

Brew Free or Die meets about 45 minutes from me, however I work nights and they meet usually late on a Friday.

This forum is wonderfull, but is sometimes no replacement for meeting fellow brewers face to face. Even though it was an almost 6 hour drive round-trip, I learned more from meeting some fellow HBT members and seeing their setups for an afternoon than I had learned on my own for a year.

Going in on bulk purchases would be a great thing out of a club. I can't commit to set days/times though and probably would start pissing off the long-timers if I only showed when I could.

I belong to two clubs: Oregon Brew Crew in Portland and Heart of the Valley in Corvallis. They both involve about 3 hours round trip, typically for a two hour meeting. I certainly think they are worth it, you get to try some really good brews at each meeting and some very odd ones. They both are involved in Beer Fests and for a little volunteer time, you can get in free.

There are other clubs around here, one of which requires that you be sponsored by a member before they will consider you. I'm happy with OBC & HoV.

I'm in the James River Homebrewers. They meet at Legend Brewing Co. in Richmond second Wednesday of every month.

Buford said:
I'm in the James River Homebrewers. They meet at Legend Brewing Co. in Richmond second Wednesday of every month.

You going to the Dominion Cup in July?

I am a member of CASK (Colonial Alesmiths & Keggers) based in Williamsburg.

We have a great bunch of brewers and some really, really knowledgeable folks. I try to make every meeting. We meet up at Williamsburg Alewerks the 3rd Thursday of the month. This month though, we are meeting at St. George's Brewery here in Hampton--so I'm having the crew over to my place for some pre-meeting tasting and snacks.

:rockin:

Buford said:

I've been trying to go to a meeting for the last 4 months. Something always seems to happen so I can't go.

todd_k said:
I've been trying to go to a meeting for the last 4 months. Something always seems to happen so I can't go.

Another James River Homebrewer here.

Todd, the meeting was last night. Guess you missed that one too. :D

Well there is always next month.

You know, I forgot to mention, but feel it is necessary, but CASK is the 3 time defending champs of the Dominion Cup.

Come on James River guys....is it your year?

098.gif

I don't know that I consider my beers good enough to compete yet. Also, I need a Beer Gun since I keg now so I can get stuff in bottles.

Nearest club is over 60 miles away. I have my own club. I'm the president, chairman, treasurer, and secretary (well, BeerSmith, the software, is my secretary). I win every contest in my club.

After brewing for a while I found that I can only brew so much at a time so I joined a club so I can drink more beer.
Brewmeisters Anonymous

We have LHBS owners as well as several professional brewers as members. Lots of info there.

Wild

Dude said:
You know, I forgot to mention, but feel it is necessary, but CASK is the 3 time defending champs of the Dominion Cup.

Come on James River guys....is it your year?

098.gif

I think I'll rise to your challenge, Dude. I do however expect to be unsuccessful though. Way to be confident, huh. :)

EDIT: I could send you some stout and let you determine if I've got a shot.

I'll probably join a club after another batch or two just to make sure it's something I'm going to keep up with.

Flyin' Lion said:
Another James River Homebrewer here.

Todd, the meeting was last night. Guess you missed that one too. :D

Well there is always next month.

I wanted to go, I had beer in the fridge, directions to Legend printed out (haven't gone there since i moved), and I was watching the clock. Unfortunately, my stomach didn't want anything to do with it.

The JRHB club meetings are useful to me because I can call Bob's store that day and order stuff and he brings it to the meeting. No shipping charge and no driving to Chester. (Chester is nearly 30 miles for me, Legend is a LOT closer.)

Flyin' Lion said:
I think I'll rise to your challenge, Dude. I do however expect to be unsuccessful though. Way to be confident, huh. :)

EDIT: I could send you some stout and let you determine if I've got a shot.

What we need to do is meet up at Legend some night just to all meet each other and beer swap. I'm game pretty much anytime I have off of work!

I'll call a buddy of mine in Richmond and we can all have a good meal and some good beer. Come to think of it, that buddy of mine is in the James River club actually...know a guy named Will? Beard.....weird last name?

Tonight is our meeting, a rare meeting at the St. George Brewery. Since it is in Hampton, I invited the club over to "Bratwursts and Shillelaghs" before the meeting. I hope all 40+ registered members don't decide to show up. ;)

Hopefully a few can make it at least.....

Nate, you around? It would be a good night to attend! :D

how bout clubs in the sf bay area?? i've heard of a few, but don't remember their names. i could do a search, but was wondering if anybody is members of this board as well. hit me up and we'll trade some brews.

Meeting last night was great fun.

I prolly had 12 of them over at my place beforehand--the bar was packed but we had a great time. My beer went over better than I expected. The scottish ale and teh LWPA were pretty big hits.

One guy actually asked me if I put pineapple in my LWPA...the simcoe/amarillo aroma got him!

Made our way to the St. George Brewery....had a sample of the brand new (unreleased) "11". Good god, what an awesome beer. I believe it also had Simcoe in it but the brewmaster wouldn't let on. :D

Then, I volunteered to judge for the extract beers club only competition--had to pick one beer to represent our club out of 13 beers in 11 different styles. Talk about a damn headache!

Had another really interesting sample as well--one guy did the exact same beer with 2 different yeasts, WLP001 and Northwest Ale Yeast. The beers were fermented side by side, everything was identical, 10 gallon batch split inot 2, except they used the separate yeasts. The NWA beer was simply a MUCH better beer than the other--the difference was striking. Kind of an eye opener for me on what yeast can do.

Back