Forgot to stir Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-rad

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a new brewer. I finished my first batch of Pale Ale with success but Im afraid I may have messed up my second batch. I disolved the priming sugar in the water and added it to the bottling bucket, then racked the beer in. I forgot to stir when it was done. Is my batch ruined? Or would the sugar be mixed enough when I racked?. Please send me opinions!

Tough call on this one. Your best bet would to be to put the bottles in a plastic tote(in case of bottle bombs) and in about 3 weeks cool a couple down and carefully open to test for carbonation.

I told you in chat that I've never stirred in my bottling bucket, but I've racked with the tubing "coiled" on the bottom so it swirls and mixes without any stirring. I think you'll be fine, if you racked with a similar technique. But, expertbrewers is correct, too- keep them in a safe place just in case!

I just finished my first brew, I didnt mix the sugar. my instructions didnt say to. my friends and I drank a like 12 already. They have only been bottled for 1 week as well. You have to pour them carefully otherwise they froth up alot.

Im going to stir next time

I have a whole three batches under my belt. ;)
All three have carbonated no problem without stirring the mixture after racking onto the priming solution. It doesn't hurt to do this but I don't think you'll have any problems. Just remember 3 weeks at 70 F.

Hello all,
I am a new brewer. I finished my first batch of Pale Ale with success but Im afraid I may have messed up my second batch. I disolved the priming sugar in the water and added it to the bottling bucket, then racked the beer in. I forgot to stir when it was done. Is my batch ruined? Or would the sugar be mixed enough when I racked?. Please send me opinions!

Nothing to worry about - you did it exactly the way you're supposed to.

ok so it has been a week.. I decided to throw one of the beer in the fridge at lunch.. opened it tonight and it has a lot of head.. i know this is only my second batch but isn't that early for this much carbonation? Im afraid of exploding bottles.. Should I put them all in the fridge to stop the carbonation? Any advice is appreciated.

ok so it has been a week.. I decided to throw one of the beer in the fridge at lunch.. opened it tonight and it has a lot of head.. i know this is only my second batch but isn't that early for this much carbonation? Im afraid of exploding bottles.. Should I put them all in the fridge to stop the carbonation? Any advice is appreciated.

No, it's fine. Remember that cold beer absorbs more co2, and the beer was only chilled a couple of hours. If you opened it warm, it might have foamed. That doesn't mean anything at all about the level of carbonation. It just means that your bottle wasn't chilled very long before opening.

Try not to worry! I know it's hard, but wait for two weeks and then chill one at least overnight. It'll be fine!

ok thanks Yooperbrew.. I just put them all in a big plastic container just so i can sleep better and not worry about a mess.. hopefully they turn out... Cheers!

If you're really worried, try another one in a few days- but chill it at least overnight first. If that one is overcarbed, then maybe consider chilling the rest. If it's ok, then keep testing weekly- just for sampling purposes of course! (By the way, how did it taste?)

tasted alright.. Im not the best at describing beer tastes. It had a sharp kind of taste.. (which Ithought was over carbonation)... reminded me of the first beer i had from my first batch.. and they only got better over time...

I did the same on my first batch, I used the swirl method and most of my beers came out just fine, a few had alot of head while a few and very little but I was still happy with all of them

BUMP...

I just idiotically did the same thing. Poured my priming sugar into the bottling bucket and then just siphoned from my secondary into that without stirring afterwards. Needless to say I am extremely worried about some bottles exploding and others turning out flat. I can take the ones I started with and put them in a seperate plastic container just in case.

Have many of you done this in the past and been okay?

I've done it with no problems. I normally swirl the wort now, but mostly to help aerate.

Also, the sharp taste might just be coming from green beer. Will probably smooth out after another week or two.

On my first brew, I didn't stir. I had VERY inconsistant carbonation despite the "swirl" technique. Most are nearly totally flat, even after 6 weeks at room temp. Some are seriously over-carbed. None have bottle-bombed, thankfully.

Back