Pilsen and Pale LME differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
Is there a difference between pilsen LME or DME and Pale LME or DME?

Also I have used a John Bull Light. How would this compare to either of the above?

What I am trying to do I think, is purchase a 33# LME from Northern brewer and use it to make both Dubbel and Trippel. Adding various other malts etc..

Any Advice here? Thank you in advance.

Pale L/DME is made from either English or American pale ale malt, the packect should state where it was made. There is a different taste between pilsener, Engish pale and American pale malts. Pils malt seems to be sweeter and have a sort of grainy flavor that one must taste to understand. English pale malt is best described as biscuity and toasty, it is my favorite. American pale malt is slightly grainy and not very sweet, a neutral flavor that works well in strong flavored beers like stouts or when you don't want a lot of malty sweetness. My advice is try the malts when you are at your LHBS next time. Ask for a few grains of each variety, chew on them and you will find out that they are all different. Experience is very important.
I would recommend using pils extract for the Belgian style beers you want to brew. The pilsener would make the beer taste authentic. This is especially important in the triple because it is a very simple malt beer, the yeast creates most of the flavors and they really play off the sweet maltiness of the pilsener malt.

Back