Needle valve location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannedry

Reaction score
Does it matter whether the needle valve for each of my high pressure banjo burners goes before or after the propane hose?

So...

Propane tank - 1/2" pipe manifold - needle valve - hose - banjo burner

or

Propane tank - 1/2" pipe manifold - hose - needle valve - banjo burner

Does it matter? I have seen both setups.

Thanks for the help!

:mug:

Doesn't really matter, although you might find the valve would get really hot if it was connected straight to the burner.

Doesn't really matter, although you might find the valve would get really hot if it was connected straight to the burner.

Awesome... I got the parts to connect the needle valves directly off the manifold, then saw a bunch of BRUTUS systems with the valve coming directly off the burner. I was having a tough time coming up with something that connected to the 3/8" male flare on the burner to the 1/4" npt on the needle valve. I bought a standard 3/8" street elbow as many people have listed, but the connection to the 3/8" male flare fitting is sloppy at best.

Thanks for the help bro!

Three burner system, right? I think I saw your rig on one of these threads...
I suggest a ball valve before the needle valve, that way your needle valve isn't used as an open/close valve, as well. The ball valve is like an on/off light switch, and the needle valve is like a dimmer switch.

Three burner system, right? I think I saw your rig on one of these threads...
I suggest a ball valve before the needle valve, that way your needle valve isn't used as an open/close valve, as well. The ball valve is like an on/off light switch, and the needle valve is like a dimmer switch.

Yeah, I posted a picture of my weldless brew stand in progress a few days ago. Coming along very nicely! Hoping to get it finished, painted, and tested for my first all grain brew session on my birthday, St Patty's Day.

Good call on the ball valve... I work at a place that has TONS of them kicking around.

Thanks!

Back