Few Questions Regarding the Beer Gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
1. What is the shelf life of the beer after it is "beer gunnes" from the keg into bottles?

2. What pressure do you want your co2 set at when "beer-gunning"??

3. Any opinions one way or the other you guys may have about the beer gun? (ie worth the money/ease of use/ etc)

Thanks in Advance :mug:

1. Typical shelf life of beers. I have 2 - 3yr+ old big beers (Barleywine, etc) that are still perfectly fine.

2. Pressure on the source keg is about 2psi give or take. Pressure coming into the gun is maybe 5psi. I think the directions say not to go over 10.

3. I love it. But I got it mostly free with some gift certificates I won at a comp. It is a bit spendy but in my eyes easy to use, easy to clean and I like being able to easily purge bottles before/after filling.

I made my own from spare parts and a 38 cent rubber stopper. Search for the "We no need no stinking beer gun" thread. It works, and it works well. I have done over 40 gallons with this method and have not one lick of trouble!

Not that you can't diy this, but I think that purging with c02 is about a thousand times more important than counterpressure. Counter pressure is nice but if you get the beer cold and turn the pressure down low enough, I can fill a growler with a picnic tap with almost no foam (ergo almost no c02 loss).

I have a 5lb c02 tank with a tee after the regulator so I can hook up accessories. A length of tubing and a spring loaded bottle filler make a great diy c02 purging device.

Back