What can I get from second running?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing up the wee heavy from the 10-10-10 thread, something big to age for a year (one of my brew year resolutions). But a Scotch ale has been on my to-do list for a while. I'd imagine I could get some sort of second running Scottish from that big a brew, just wondering what y'all thought I might expect from it, how many gallons it'll be, etc. As I've never gather a second running to brew as a separate batch. Thanks!

Not much of anything. Assuming a reasonable efficiency, there would only be 70 points worth of sugars left after the initial sparge (making a 1.014 wort). If you increased the mash by 40%, you would be able to get a 1.050 batch.

A common misunderstanding in the method.

So basically throw in maybe 4-6 lb of MO on top of the previous mash, then re-mash? So all I'm really saving on is the roast barley and crystal, which don't amount to much in the first place, so might as well do a seperate recipe. Works for me. I've got a couple tasty looking scotch ale recipes from byo I've been wanting to cook up.

I watched a brewcast the other day when someone was doing a wee heavy. I don't seem to recall seeing him add any grains for the second runnings. Big beer and small beer. It looked that simple......I WAS a bit druck at the time though.

No, not a second mash. Increase the size of the original mash. This will also reduce the amount of wort you'll need for the wee heavy, because it will boost the gravity of the first runnings and the early sparge.

If you want a 1.100 and a 1.050, mash for 1.150.

Back