Repurposing my fermentation cabinet for the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
So I've been tossing around the idea of using the freely available freezing cold air outside to my advantage, to do some lagering. My interest was dramatically increased when I realized that I can fit two cornies in my fermentation cabinet which, for obvious reasons, has been in disuse since autumn.

I'm thinking I could build some kind of simple air duct, that would go in a window, to draw in cold air from outside using fan controlled by a thermostat, through some tubing, into the cabinet.

My biggest question is - is stable temperature critical for lagers, or does it mainly just have to be "cold enough"? I live in Maine, so it's usually pretty cold and thus maintaining a stable temp should not be hard, but it's certainly possible to have a warm day here and there. I imagine that there'd be no real threat of it ever getting above maybe 50-something, but I don't know for sure.

Any thoughts?

Back