Frost brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
There's a new Coors commercial where they brag about brewing at a temp so low that frost actually forms.

What benefit does this have? Why do I want frozen beer? Is this just some contrived marketing scheme, or is there an actual benefit to frost brewing?

Clarity is all I could think of, Lagering at near freezing without actually letting it freeze to an ice beer... Marketing scheme seems likely

Seems like it would make for long ferments, but if you're not fermenting much in the first place, no biggy!

Coors makes good sausage brine.

"So there's a major brewers convention. After the meeting the president of Coors, Bush and Guinness walk into a bar together. The coors guys orders a Coors draft. The president of Bush orders a bottle of Budwiser. The bartender asks Authur Guinness what he wants... "I'll have a coke please". Confused, the 2 look at mr Guinness and ask "Why didnt you order a Guinness?"...

"Well if you boys aren't drinking beer... I'm not going to."

Obviously this has nothing to do with Coors but theres a beer style called Eisbock where you make a doppelbock and freeze out the water, saving the remaining beer to age.

I don't know what Coors is up to, but I was told (which means this could be myth) Ice Beer was a way to deal with problems with Dry Beer. Dry beer fermented down too far to have any flavor to cover husk phenols so the beer was chilled so that these could be removed and the marketers jumped on it with a new marketing campaign. It also makes it stronger because it removes some of the water.

Frost in beer would just suggest to me that it is COLD lagered. Big deal, that has been done before, like centuries.

New twist on an old plan...to take your $$$.

Lagering, by nature, is usually done in the cold. The coldness clears the beer well. The colder longer lagering results in fine brews.

American beer on the other hand is filtered all to hell...:drunk:

Latest posts

Back