Grain Brand Choice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get in on a group grain buy. Looks like they will buy from North Country Malt Supply. But the question actually pertains to any supplier.

How do you choose grain brand? The difference in price is minimal, giving me the impression that they are all pretty equal in quality. So price would determine. Or is one brand better than others?

As a "For instance" is Briess a better 2-Row than Best Malz or what ever.

I have been using the 2-row from Canada Malting and the Maris Otter from Thomas Fawcett and Sons. I think they are both very good malts especially the TF&S MO, I think I like it better than Muntons.

I'm hoping to get in on a group grain buy. Looks like they will buy from North Country Malt Supply. But the question actually pertains to any supplier.

How do you choose grain brand? The difference in price is minimal, giving me the impression that they are all pretty equal in quality. So price would determine. Or is one brand better than others?

As a "For instance" is Briess a better 2-Row than Best Malz or what ever.

This is one of those questions where everyone may have a different answer. For many of us, we choose grain brand based on availability (whats available at the LHBS).. Some of us choose grain based on price.. However, I think most of us base grain selection on what has worked for us in the past.. If you are using a malt of questionable character but you enjoy the beer being made from it, then that's all that matters. I use Great Western Two Row Malt, a brand that has received both rave reviews and bad reviews in different forums. But I like it, it works for me, I hit my OG's, and many west coast microbreweries use this same brand in their commerical beers..

I know thats not a definite answer to your question, but I felt like rambling....

When we go all-grain we'll probably start out with Briess 2-row, mostly because they malt it about 30 miles from here. If nothing else, it's also a little less expensive as we start practicing with AG.

I buy based on what I'm brewing. For example I will buy the Best Malz Pils (from germany) if I'm making continental lagers, not the canadian pils. When that isn't an issue, such as 2 brands of 2row both from canada, find one you like and stick with it.

That's exactly how I choose. If you're going with a Continental Pils malt, Best Maltz is an obvious choice. TF&S is a great MO. If you're going generic 2-row Gambrinus is dirt cheap which is what I care about in domestic 2-row.

Dingman's. Both the ale and the pils are very high quality, and versatile.

Back