Bottle broke off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I don't bottle much, so I don't know if this is common. I was capping a 12 oz bottle of barley wine and when the arms of the capper came down, the neck of the bottle broke off just below the cap. Nice clean break, no fragments. I strained it into another bottle and capped that one without a problem.

Does this happen often?

I haven't broken a bottle yet but I did snap the arm off my wing capper doing a batch. Luckly had an old bench capper handy. I was bottling some 22oz'ers Monday night and it felt like i was really cranking on them harder than the 12oz'ers I usually use.

its happened to me twice, dont know why, it was wierd. both times they were with 22 oz. bottles.

that happened from time to time with friends of mine who have been brewing longer that I have. Usually it happens because of a small stress crack giving way. If you hold a bottle of freshly opened bud by the neck then give it a good solid smack on the opening with the heel of your palm the bottom will drop out very cleany it's a waste of beer but hey its only bud and a neat bet winner.

Happened to me too. With the 22 oz bottles. I dumped mine wincing at the waste. I was really careful with the pressure I applied after that. Once that little die presses down over the cap, that's it. No more pressure.

yeah i could almost hear mine cracking before it broke off. almost heard that a coule days ago when i was putting some saved yeast in a bomber, right away i let the pressure off, hopefully i didnt cause a crack and my bottle explodes with a bunch of nasty yeast in it. a yeast mess in the frig wouldnt make my girlfriend too happy.

Back