pitching on yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LIONS_FAN2539 said:
could some please explain this process. do i still add new yeast?

The point of this is to use the yeast from a previous batch to ferment a new batch, so no new yeast is needed.

The procedure is quite simple. Plan on brewing the day you are either going to rack from primary to secondary, or from secondary to bottle/keg.

Once you siphon the beer off the yeast cake, you pour your new batch right on top of it. Use a blow off tube as it will take off like gangbusters!:mug:

do i do anything sanitation wise to the fermenter. for example wipe off the krausen near the top. and when the new batch goes in wont that heavily disturb the trub..and lastly, will the yeast count be enough,what if i add some yeast and pitch on the cake? unessesary? is this a preferred method? i always rack and brew the same day. im not trying to save a packet yeast, im trying to make better ale

Just pour.
Try to go from lighter style to darker because some flavors may transfer to the new beer.
You'll reduce your lag time.
Too simple, right?

When I do this procedure I only ferment the first beer for 4-5 days, then brew another while transferring the first to secondary. Then dump chilled new beer onto the first yeast cake. I'll re sanitize the BOT and maybe the lid (I use buckets for primary). Super easy - no saving yeast and washing it, etc. I only do 2 beers on the same cake but probably could go 3 or 4.

A note: If you are using extract and diluting with chilled water, be sure to first do this in another container. If you dump 180degree wurt onto your yeast cake, you'll cook the little guys. A similar situation occurs with 34 degree water from your fridge. Soot for 65-70 degree initial wurt temp.

chill thanks for a good answer,cuz i was going with the temperture thing next. BOT is what? just want to get this right. is this going to improve my next batch or is it just makin it easier? because i happy with my process now. if i add a pinch of yeast am i being to cautious and could it ruin the flavor. im going light to red,but im going cascade/cetinal to gold kent/fuggles...still ok? thanks

BOT = Blow off tube. I use a standard beer hose jammed into the airlock hole or bucket or carbo bung.

It is both easier and improves the beer due to less lag time and reproductive phase for the yeast. This is desirable in most styles. It stresses the yeast less, which is what you are looking for in a nice clean pale or red ale.
No need to add any additional yeast. Just avoid that altogether.

Don't worry about the hops. They don't contribute much, but in the future, you might want to strain your wurt out of the kettle so as to remove the hops and larger break materials. Some break particles will still get through but the lipids in this are good for yeast so all is well.

im using a 5 gallon paint strainer to strain the wort so im catchin all the larger by-products. not bagging any pellets, just keepin there appointments. this no yeast thing makes me nervous, but ill trust the pros...thanks ill let ya know how it goes.

LOL,

No need to worry about the yeast, that cake at the bottom of your carboy has more yeast than 50 packets of yeast. What you've got in that carboy is the world's biggest starter. Adding more yeast to your carboy would be akin to throwing a match into the sun: harmless but useless.;)

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
im using a 5 gallon paint strainer to strain the wort so im catchin all the larger by-products. not bagging any pellets, just keepin there appointments. this no yeast thing makes me nervous, but ill trust the pros...thanks ill let ya know how it goes.

Really, don't worry; it will be fine... Just remember to use a blow off tube, or else you'll have krausen all over your closet.
Also, you mentioned something along the lines of "when the new batch goes in it won't that heavily disturb the trub"... Whenever I pitch, I shake the **** out of the fermenter to give the yeast a sufficiently aerated environment to work in.
Using yeast cakes is great; but I wouldn't go past the third generation or so.

Goatspeed

thanks for the info. it took off right away. i dont have a bot on it, just a airlock.
i wasnt gentle adding wort , but i didnt shake the **** out of it. i like this re pitch'in thing

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
thanks for the info. it took off right away. i dont have a bot on it, just a airlock.
i wasnt gentle adding wort , but i didnt shake the **** out of it. i like this re pitch'in thing

Don't say we didn't warn you through. BOT is essential 99% of the time when pitching on a yeast cake. If you wake up in the AM and there's beer all over, you can't blame us!

But nice job with yeast. I recently pitched onto cake for the first time, it really amazed me. I watched it as much as I watched my very first batch.

by far the most prolific fermation i have observed so far in my inaguaral season.
quite the science project. never had a doubt

Back