Using Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
I am going use some rice in my next brew, which will be 9 lbs of Rahr 2 row and 2 lbs of rice.

I would like to boil the rice the night before since I am going to try to beat the heat by starting my brew day at 5 am.

My question is, as I have never used an adjunct, can I boil the rice the night before and then use it in the AM?

I would hate to have to boil for an hour before I even get started.

I have a 10lbs free bag of rice that no one wants so I do not want to throw it away.

Rice doesn't take that long to make, so what is the hurry if you start your brew day at 5:30 am?

I use the flaked rice from the LHBS or better yet minute rice. No pre-boil to worry about. Adding that much extra time (let alone propane), just doesn't justify using regular rice to my lazy butt.....

The nice thing about the Double mash (cereal mash) is that you can use that to add heat to your main mash, similar to a decoction.
The drawback to rice cooked hours before hand would be cool or cold and take a bit of heat to bring back to mash temp. Because it would have a lot of cold water in it, the heat needed might be quite a bit, water having a lot of thermal mass.

Back