bottling micro brew from tap.....possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

Reaction score
Not a home brew, but a finished product. It is a pumpkin ale from a local brewery. Was wondering if I could bottle a few bombers to save until the off season. I have access to caps and the crimp tool, but otherwise don;t know how to bottle.

It's easy, and common.

Turn the pressure down to about 3 PSI and bleed the pressure off of the keg (It'll still have 12PSI or whatever your serving pressure is)
Attach a length of hose to the tap that can reach the bottom of the bottle
put the bottle up, with the hose all the way to the bottom
Open the tap and fill until it's got an inch or 2 of headspace
get ready to cap - Thump the bottle on the table to make it foam
As soon as the foam hits the cap, crimp it down

This way you are capping on Co2 and the bubbles have pushed out all of the oxygen

Should I let a bit of foam out to make sure all the air is out? Or a little will not cause a problem?

And.............

So another question came up. How long will it last? I have kept southern tier pumpking for about 8 months and it was still fresh as it was when I got it.

If I bottle at home, will it keep for long?

I've had some over a year bottled from the tap that were great. Just remember to always cap on foam so there's no o2

Note that was a stout. Some beers dont age well.

Local brewery states it will not age well due to oxygen in the bottle.

So if I cap on top of the foam will there still be oxygen in the bottle trapped?

Local brewery states it will not age well due to oxygen in the bottle.

So if I cap on top of the foam will there still be oxygen in the bottle trapped?

No - That's why you have to cap on foam. The foam is Co2 bubbles. If the bottle is full of Co2 bubbles, there can be no oxygen.

Go for it. If you want to bottle it for a year, it may be kinda crappy as the beer ages because some styles don't age well (But not because of oxygen, as there isn't any in there). But if you want to haul a growler to a buddy's house it's no problem.

Back