Locating ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhartley111

Reaction score
This is my first post. First I want to thank everybody who participates on this board. I started brewing a couple of months ago (just brewed my 4th batch) and I have gained a lot more from reading the discussions on this board than I did from reading the standard brewing "how-to" books. It amazes me how generous everyone is with their experience and know-how.

I want to brew Walker's IPA that I've heard so much about (recipe as quoted by Yooper Chick https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19876 ). The procedure will be the most complicated I've tried but I doubt it will be any trouble. The only problem I'm having is finding all the ingredients.

1.5 lb American Crystal 10°L

I've found a lot that sounded similar but nothing exact. On Midwest's site http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByCat.aspx?Cat=237&fd=1 it looks like they are equating "crystal" with "caramel". Is this right? If so, does this (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3865) qualify as American Crystal 10°L?

8 lbs Briess Extra Light DME

I've looked high and low and can't find this stuff. Briess's website says they have Pilsen Light and Golden Light but no Extra Light. I have found Munton's Extra Light but will that throw the recipe off? Is it that important to get the exact brand or am I just being too anal about all of this?

Thanks guys!

Crystal = Caramel. Two different words, same exact thing.

The brand doesn't usually matter too much with extract as long as it's not Laaglander, which is designed to leave much more body than the other brands (not what you want in an IPA). Munton's Extra Light should be fine. I can't remember what brand I used when I brewed Walker's IPA (which IS a damn fine beer), but I remember it was not what he specifically called for, and it was both fine and tasted very similar to the one I got from the man himself.

The term "crystal malt" and "caramel malt" often refer to the same thing for home brewers as they are mainly interested in the color. However, "caramel malt" is a term used to refer to higher colored malts that can be made 2 ways by the maltster. When these malts are made in a roaster, they are processed such that the endosperm is turned into a high concentration of sugar and then roasted to get caramelization. This results in a crystallization of the caramelized sugars in 99% of the kernels. If you take a caramel malt made by the roasting process and crack it open, it is brown crystalline in appearance or "glassy". Another way to make "caramel malt" is on a kiln, like base malt, but you dampen the malt during drying and let it "stew". The moisture and heat causes only about 10% of the kernels to form a crystalline endosperm, the rest of the kernels are powdery or "meally". These 2 types of caramel malts will have the same color, but will have different flavors. European caramel malts are crystal malts as is Briess malt.

As for "extra light DME" would be any light DME intended for light lagers or pilsner beer. Briess Pilsen would qualify.

I hope this is helpful.:mug:

Dr Malt;)

Briess Pilsen Light DME is the Extra Light. It is lighter than Muntons in color. The golden is their Light DME.

Austinhomebrew said:
Briess Pilsen Light DME is the Extra Light. It is lighter than Muntons in color. The golden is their Light DME.

I thought this was the case. Are you associated with AHS? If so, you should tell people this, I almost went elsewhere to buy pilsen malt extract. I figured it was the same since it is the only extract that briess sells with 1.0-3.0 L rating.

Back