Do you create a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtherWhiteMeat

Reaction score
It was my first time using the wyeast liquid yeast, and i was just wondering if everyone creates a yeast starter or not. I chose not to for lack of time.

Im trying to figure out why my beer is taking so long to ferment. Its been in the primary for 10 days now, and im still getting a bubble in the air lock every 10 seconds. Could it be becuse I didnt create a yeast starter? Could it be the 1lb of honey I added, and its taking the yeast extra long to convert the honey?

I wouldn't equate this to not doing a starter. It's probably more related to just taking its time based on the brew you made and/or ferm temp. Do you use a secondary? I've noticed sometimes that if I have a batch in a primary for 7 days or so I'll still get burps. Once I rack it over to a secondary it slows down/stops. Might be related to all the yeast slurry sitting in the primary. Just racked Sat a batch and it's looking quite dead in the secondary now. I never really stare at the airlock anymore though. A gravity check will tell you info as well. FWIW, I had a batch that took 4 weeks for just the krausen to fall so you never know...

To answer the topic title, I use a starter.

Like desertBrew said, sometimes it just takes a while for the yeast to do its thing.

Back