Chefmate Flavor Injector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB_OCDAVE

Reaction score
Having problems retrieving samples from your glass carboy? Stopped taking OG and FG readings cause its too much trouble to fish out the hydrometer?

Well, I recently puchased a flavor injector from Target for $1.99 and a 2ft piece of clear tubing and attached it to the end of the syringe instead of the needle. I can pull samples from my glass carboys, my conical fermentor, my buckets and just about anyting else you ferment in with ease and almost no exposure to air. Just remove your airlock and take your sanitized syringe and probe through the hole to remove the sample and dispense it in your tube for your hydrometer. EASY, CLEAN and SANITARY!

Just wanted to share this with everyone cause it has posed some issues in the past collecting data to calculate A/V and FG. I used a baster once but it made a mess and sometimes wouldn't reach far enough into the 6.5 gal carboy to retrieve the sample. Happy Halloween! :fro:

My dog was sick once, and we had to feed her via syringe (an oversized, no needle version), and once we were done with that, it became a normal part of our brewing. We attach the tubing, same as the OP and it takes our sample, no problem. Honestly, I've brewed without it, and I realized that getting a hydro sample is a pain in the ass. I suggest everyone gets one of these, it makes everything easier.

Thanks for the response. I stopped taking samples and measuring OG and FG about 6 months after I started brewing. I have been doing AG for about 7 years now and its just a pain in the ARSE! When i saw the flavor injector i knew it would simplify things tremendously. I can take samples right out of the glass carboy without moving it from the fridge or even taking off the airlock. I have those colored racking caps on a 6.5 and a 6 gal glass carboy. I just pop the cap off the carboy cap and slide the sanitized tube down into the wort/beer and pull my sample.

I am currently looking for a larger syringe, maybe 200 ml. It takes three or four pulls with the 30 ml one to get enough sample to float the hydrometer in. Any ideas on where to get one cheap let me know. Thanks.

I did the same thing with a turkey baster. I was creating a yest bank and couldn't reach the bottom of the 2L starter.

Now, I use a Fermatech wine thief. Couldn't be much easier.

I use a turkey baster too. it is easy to clean and requires only two pulls to get enough for a hydrometer reading. If you can, find one with a glass tube (the ball will obviously be rubber)

I am currently looking for a larger syringe, maybe 200 ml. It takes three or four pulls with the 30 ml one to get enough sample to float the hydrometer in. Any ideas on where to get one cheap let me know. Thanks.

Try a feed store. They often have medication for large animals and stock horse size syringes. Or just stick tubing on your SWMBO's turkey baster.

Back