Now for the names of you dogs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
For those of us w/o the 'speaking', two-legged pets in a similar thread (though I supposed you parent's can get involed, too ;) ) what are names of you dogs, past, present and future?

Right now I've got SWMBO's 11 year old retriever/shep mix which she named Nala many years before I met her.

I used to have a great beagle named Sammy.

...Thinking of adding two beagle pups to the household and the leading names are:

Arrow (I still listen to Nillson's The Point....brings me back to childhood in a serious way)
Roo (because that's what beagles do)
Ralph Nader

I have a Beagle / Basset Hound. I wanted a Basset and planned on naming him Flash, but as soon as I saw him, he just looked like a Louie to me. So, Louie it was. He's 7 years old - getting pretty gray around the eyes.

He's the best dog I've ever had

Before we were married, SWMBO bought an 11 pound Shih Tzu and named her Cookie. She's a pretty cool dog, but I feel pretty unmanly walking her around the neighborhood.

My last dog was Sara, a ten lb poodle from my first marriage. What a great dog. Not very manly, but she grew on me and when I got divorced, I took her with me. She died of cancer two and a half years ago. What an awesome friend!

Now we have a Bailey and a Madison, the Old English Sheepdogs. They are brother and sister and are crazy as heck. They are good dogs, but man it is a big change going from one great, perfectly behaved dog to two crazy puppies.

I am a big YES fan and use to have a German Shepherd that I name "Olias of Sunhillow" after one of John Anderson's album. Use to win a lot of tickets to there concerts by showing his AKC papers......

Fiery Sword said:
Flash would be a great name for a basset. :D

From the Dukes of Hazard...

rosco_flash.jpg

Mine has more of a beagle face, but the body and personality is all basset

Sheepdog said:
Now we have a Bailey and a Madison, the Old English Sheepdogs. They are brother and sister and are crazy as heck. They are good dogs, but man it is a big change going from one great, perfectly behaved dog to two crazy puppies.

Those are nice looking dogs - I assume they're the ones in your sig. How are they with shedding?

"Troy."

We went to the shelter, just looking around, not planning on adopting anyone. We'd been watching a lot of "Animal Cops" and really wanted to get a dog. Now, I have NEVER been a dog person, they scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid. We just wanted to look and see.

But, as soon as I saw him, I knew that he was our boy. What sealed the deal, though, was that they had already named him "Troy." We both liked that name a lot, we were planning on using it if we had a boy (SWMBO because of its classical connotations, me because of Troy Brown). It just felt like he was really, really meant to be ours.

So, even though we had no intention of adopting any dog, much less one that we knew would grow to be ~100lbs, it really felt like we had no choice in the matter. :D

sandboxwithTroy.jpg

If we ever get a basset or something sloppy like that, I'm naming him/her "Trethewey"

No dogs currently, but in the past I have had a Bud (thanks A-B) and a Shorty. Both mutts. I will, one day, have me a Vizsla. I always liked Zeus and Apollo (Magnum, P.I., anyone?) but she'll probably end up with a Hungarian name of some sort.

OK, I got my first dog, a longhaired miniature dachsund when I was 15 and I was a LOTR nerd. I named her The Shire's Meriodoc (she was AKC, so got the big name). She's still around too, great dog. My wife and I got a Jack Russell Terrier when we moved to Germany 1.5 years ago. Her name is Lizzie, great dog as well, she's been all over the world... Paris, NC, Indianna, Alabama and all over Germany.

My wife and I got a dog from the pound. He was a puppy and seemed very slow speed wise and very stupid. So we named him Professor Flash.

For our wedding we received a pure golden retriever pup. named him Lucky, as in lucky i didnt kill the ***** for giving me a dog for a wedding present.

Who does that for a wedding present? it was my boss at the time, can not really tell the person that signs your check you dont want their gift!

Here is Floyd, as in Pink Floyd. Also known as Hurricane Floyd. He's crazy but we love him!

IMG_0014.jpg

We've got a Shepard mix that goes by the name of Bambino. We got him from the pound also. He was listed as a Lab mix but there can't be much in him. Had him for going on 13 yrs now and he is starting to show his age.

Ive got a chocolate lab. Her name is Roxy. Im just so glad her puppy stage is over, this dog chewed EVERYTHING

I'm lucky enough to have a Dalmation, Sammy, with an insatiable appetite. This dog will eat absolutely anything for the sake of eating, whether it be garbage, dust bunnies, entire boxes of 64 crayons (he has eaten every single box my daughter has ever had), and most recently he chowed down three containers of fish food (betta fish bites, brine shrimp and tubifex worms). Nothing he eats will ever get him sick with the exception of a different brand of dog food.

the_bird said:
John, that is such a good looking dog. Is she a mix of some kind?

She is a full-blooded Merle Great Dane. Nobody knows about them because they are not AKC recognized. When breeders breed for Harlequins, one or two may come out Merle which includes gray in their coats.

Unbelievably, up until very recently most breeders put down Merles at birth as they were considered undesirable. The breeder we got Roxie from just sold them cheaper and had us sign some paper that we wouldn't breed her.

Roxie was the only Merle in her litter. We had pick of the litter and by far she stood out over all the rest.

I have a Min Pin/Chihuahua named Shiner and a mix breed (Mostly Swiss Mountain Dog with some Pit Bull and maybe Beagle) named Dakota.

SWMBO and my son Ben were out for a bike ride on our backroad a couple of Memorial Days ago.....two puppies that were obviously tossed out along the road came out whimpering.

They look like they're half Shepherd and half Chou, kind of a brindle color with black tongues. I named them Shady (the girl) and Grady (her bro).

Grady spins his doghouse around with his chain.

Had a doxie as a kid named Schotzie. Much later, a mini-doxie called Rasputain/Rusty & a goldie mix called Nuggett. I currently have two retired racing greyhounds called Katie and Cougar.

I don't name the finches or gerbils, way too many of them.

I dont have any pics but we have a pure bred mutt named Six-Toe-Moe. He is some kind of Shepard mix, and he has two dewclaws on each of his hind legs. SWMBO just got a new Pomeranian tentatively named Goombah this week. Her old one had to be put down last month. When we get a house I will get a Vietnamese potbelly pig and name her Ossifer.

- magno

Here are our three, Mika the black lab mix, Hunter the beagle, and Max the Golden Retriever. They are after a squirrel.

3dogs.jpg

It's not a great picture, it was taken through a window screen, but on the left is Spices, a German Shepherd/Husky mix. We didn't name her, she came with the name when we got her, she was already two. Mostly we call her Fat Puppy.
The Husky on the Right is Nanook, we rescued him from the pound. SWMBO named him after the dog in The Lost Boys. We call him Gay Dog, he prances and enjoys wearing purple feather boas (not that there's anything wrong with that). Sadly the boa pictures were pre-digital.

dogs.jpg

rdwj said:
Thought I'd add Louie's picture...

4365-louie.jpg

LOL....he looks like quite the character. I like his coloration, too. :) There was someone here giving away Bassett pups recently, but I had to pass. I'd love to have one.

Some really cool pics!

I used to have a dog whose full name was Jack Sh*t (Jack for short).
It was cool for two reasons, the first being a line from the song "The Weight" by The Band and the second being when people told me I didn't know Jack Sh*t, I could reply: "That's my dog!".

Wolf said:
The Husky on the Right is Nanook, we rescued him from the pound. SWMBO named him after the dog in The Lost Boys. We call him Gay Dog, he prances and enjoys wearing purple feather boas (not that there's anything wrong with that). Sadly the boa pictures were pre-digital.

Good looking dog Wolf! In fact he looks exactly like the dog that had ours! And she's a prancer too. She was SWMBO's dog originally, I adopted her. :D She''ll be 15 in June, is diabetic and gets insulin twice a day. But she can still get a little fiesty. For the most part. Yeah, she sleeps. I figure she's entitled.

Over 2 years later tho, the boy I miss is Dakota. Stroke then a heart attack. Damn shame at 9 years old. MOSTLY Shepherd, big boy, but the biggest ***** you ever met. All 110 pounds of him. Used to have to give him downers during thunderstorms or he'd try to get in your lap, no joke. He's the shepherd in my gallery.

Ize

Back