Businessbrewers Lend Me Your Consciences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearBeer

Reaction score
I've never been good with personal ethical decisions, so here goes:

About 8 months ago my hiring manager made a deal with my current manager to take an additional headcount reduction (to cut loose a low performer) with the caviat that I would be transferred after 6 months. My current position is closer to home than my first position, but it isn't keeping me busy (I'd estimate less than 5 hours/week, but I'm salaried).

So, yesterday my hiring manager made me a job offer through my former boss to replace a retiree. I'll still be in the same close-to-home location but I'll move back to my hiring manager's team. I was also promised that I'd be kept busy.

My first reaction was: Sweeeeeet!
My second reaction was: Heeeellllllll yes!
My third reaction was: Awesome! ...am I doing something wrong?

There's nothing wrong with the current group, except I'm not being kept busy. I do feel like I've given them a chance. If they haven't found enough work for me in two months, then when will they?

Furthermore, a headcount reduction is looming and I'm 3rd from the bottom by seniority in my admittedly bloated group. Not being busy, I worry about being "low hanging fruit."

Currently, I'm thinking go ahead with it. I have a mortgage and my own interests to look after, but I have an unidentifiable emotional reservation.

Is there anything wrong with taking the offer?

It's a career, not a personal matter. IMO, you need to make the decision that is best for you and your family. Leaving a job that has a workforce reduction coming up with you 3rd from bottom and hardly any workload, for a job with no foreseeable reduction and the promise of steady work is a no-brainer in my book. Go for the job security.

It's a career, not a personal matter. IMO, you need to make the decision that is best for you and your family. Leaving a job that has a workforce reduction coming up with you 3rd from bottom and hardly any workload, for a job with no foreseeable reduction and the promise of steady work is a no-brainer in my book. Go for the job security.

From the information given, what he said :D

Good luck!

My outlook on working and business is that I am not here to make friends. I am here for ME. If I happen to make friends along the way then great but if not who cares who I piss off.

Its your career. No use hanging around a place that might fire you anyways. It might help too. If you leave on your own accord, thats one less person they have to think about letting go.

My outlook on working and business is that I am not here to make friends. I am here for ME. If I happen to make friends along the way then great but if not who cares who I piss off.

While I share your opinion in practice, building strong personal and business relationships keeps productivity high. It's a proven thing in any sales organization. If a sales force doesn't work well together, the company loses traction.

While I share your opinion in practice, building strong personal and business relationships keeps productivity high. It's a proven thing in any sales organization. If a sales force doesn't work well together, the company loses traction.

I work in sales and that is true to an extent. I do try and get along with people and make friends but if its doesn't happen then i dont worry about it either. Don't get me wrong, im not that guy that just sits in my cubicle all by myself not talking to anyone all day. I am the complete opposite.

I am in account management as well, but my industry is a bit nuanced. When my compensation is linked to the combined success of my colleagues, you better believe we work incredibly well together.

I'm not quite sure why you are asking this question. For what reason to you feel obliged to keep your present position?

I don't feel obligated. I had a twinge of doubt on the third time thinking it through (probably from over-thinking). However, I have a long history of being a jackass, so I decided to get more perspectives.

In the end you guys have reinforced what I thought, meaning I can trust myself more with these decisions in the future.

Back