Thoughts on MiniBrew Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Lets say I really enjoy making beer (hmmmm 6 batches under my belt and only 200 recipes in my folder LOL)

Has anybody used MiniBrew Conical's for larger batches? Are there better alternatives?

Are you just trying to have a larger single fermenter? Any food grade plastic container will do- try US Plastics.

I don't use a conical, so I can't comment here. But it seems to me that the biggest reason for using a conical is the ease of pulling out trub before pitching and then yeast for washing. Something to consider. Also, conicals are more or less meant to not move. So you should think about how you are going to transfer the wort to the conical and then the finished beer out to packaging.

When I do 10 gallon batches, I just split between two ale pails. Works for me.

This has been discussed a few times in the past, I'm sure.

A quick search returned this relevant thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/minibrew-15-gallon-conical-63428/

"Better" depends a huge amount on "better for what?"

2x 6.5 gallon pails or carboys and (optional, as some people don't use them) 2x 5 gallon carboys, with all the accessories, are better in price. Better in mobility. Better in expandability. Easier to cool and less subject to self-heating from fermentation (the more volume in the fermenter, the more it's going to self-heat, roughly).

So, what do you need it to be "better" on? Or are you suffering from "new-toy-itis" and working backwards? "New-toy-itis" can cost a lot of money without actually making more beer. The choice of different new toys can be more cost-effective, depending on what you really want (better-wise) out of a new toy.

Not sure what you mean by "larger batches", but I brew 6 gallon batches and I use a MiniBrew 6.5gal. Conical fermenter. I think it works fine. I like having two valves (one dump valve at the bottom and a sample/transfer valve mid way up the cone). I dump the trub, and yeast every couple days, I also like taking sample to check the gravity toward the end of the fermentation. I have had no problems at all with this equipment. Cleaning it is a breeze, I fill it up with hot water and PBW, let it sit a few hours, I might use a soft cloth rag to rub any stuck on krausen, etc. I never put anything inside it that might scratch it.
I have brewed ~10 batches in it (from lagers to porters) there is no flavor transfer and no staining.
The stand for this unit is a little flimbsy, but it works fine. I normally ferment in a converted stand-up freezer, I have drilled a hole in the top next to the airlock hole to fit a thermowell for the freezer control thermostat, the plastic drilled easily and predictably with no burs. I would buy another if I ever move up to 10 or 15 gal batches. I have noticed the price has creeped up on these about ~$50 since I bought mine, but I still think they are the best conical for the money.

Latest posts

Back