Hopacles '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
It's time for Hopacles '09. I'll be brewing this year's version at a homebrew club group brew day. Hopefully this will last until I brew Hopacles '10 in late January/early February so that it still has some freaking nose when I send it off to NHC.

I like my IIPA's dry with a low finishing gravity and bitter as hell (a malty/balanced IIPA is kinda like a 100 IBU Bock - it just ain't right). I accomplish this with the 90 minute mash at 148 and the 2# of table sugar. Nottingham just destroys worts like this. Last year's version finished at 1.003 (I expected about 1.008 - 1.010).

I'm shooting for 8 gallons because that volume worked well for me last year. I ended up leaving about 1 gallon behind in the kettle, with 7 into the fermenter. I then left about another .5g when I racked to a bucket to dry hop. When racking to keg there was about another 1 gallon left behind and the remaining wort will be rigorously tested by a panel of experts (me)
biggrin.gif

Why the Sterling and Vanguard you ask? Meh, because I have them sitting around and I honestly don't know what the hell else I'd ever use them in, so they go in here.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hopacles '09
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Size: 9.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 304.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.90 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (0 min) (Mash HopHops -
6.00 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (60 min) Hops 118.5 IBU
6.00 oz Chinook [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 137.6 IBU
2.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 12.2 IBU
2.00 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
2.50 oz Chinook [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)Hops -
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.50 oz Crystal [3.10 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
2 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22.75 lb
Total Hop Weight: 32 oz
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 7.05 gal of water at 162.6 F 148.0 F

A couple pounds of special B, some pale chocolate, and you're there. :D

I do wonder why you don't just dump your 60 minute hops in the first runnings and get some more utilization. I mean, it's not like you have to worry about going overboard.

A couple pounds of special B, some pale chocolate, and you're there. :D

I do wonder why you don't just dump your 60 minute hops in the first runnings and get some more utilization. I mean, it's not like you have to worry about going overboard.

Bah... IIPA's are meant for one thing, and it's not balance. I've put some Munich, Vienna and small amounts of 10L/20L Crystal in before and those all worked well, but this year I don't want any of that. Clean, dry and bitter with a great nose. That's how I like mine.

Ya know, I've thought about doing that. I'm tweaking a couple of things in the process of this version anyway, so I think I will just toss the 12 oz :)rockin:) in the kettle with the first runnings.

Me, overboard on an IIPA? nah...

You know, I was joking about the special B and PC. I liked your grain bill on last year's.

I know you were, dude. I've actually seen IIPA's with those grains in them though.

Last year I had 3# of Munich that I'm subbing with additional 2-row this year

Kyle, I've been chomping at the bit to make an obscenely over the top IIPA, especially with the most recent haul of hops from Puterbaugh.

I love the simplicity of the grain bill! I'll have to make some substitutions re: hops, especially considering I've got all those Amarillo, Nugget and Columbus to use. :D

(Wiping a tear from the corner of my eye.) Sniff... sniff... it's... it's... just so beautiful... sniff.

Either Columbus or Nugget would make a good sub for the Chinook and you could sub more Amarillo for the Cascade.

IMO there isn't a cleaner bittering hop around than Magnum though. After I brew this I'm going to have to pick up another couple of pounds.

Sure. No tastbud damage on this one. This is a one-beer-per-sitting sipper.

We shall see. I'm on a mission to medal Hopacles at NHC so I'm kicking this one up a notch over '08 (scored a 36) to compare and better prepare for brewing '10 in February for NHC.

Teh hopz will B sacrifized 4 good cause. ;) :drunk:

I must say if there is a more extreme IIPA than that entered... well, it would be rainwater squeezed out of a hop bundle. :D

There are always more extreme IIPA's entered.... by Mike McDole.

how did this beer come out? honestly I cant make it I dont have enough hops but...I was wondering do you have pics?

I'm a hophead, so I thought it was great. I had a party the weekend after Labor Day and we actually had the last bottle of this. It was still plenty hoppy after almost a year of aging. So much so that (even at almost 1 year old), it made most commercial IIPA's seem weak.

Latest posts

Back