Pitched yeast at 80 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahobrew

Reaction score
Started my second batch yesterday. I sort of screwed up and pitched the rehydrated yeast at around 80 degrees. It's a true brew amber all malt. Within 6 hours had a very vigorous fermentation. Good thing I was using a 1inch blowoff tube from my carboy or this thing would have blown for sure, lots of krausen and gas coming out. My question is what are the ill side effects of starting a batch when pitching yeast at this temp, will I have any problems? BTW the blowoff jug smells awesome, sweet and malty. Thanks for any advice. Also temp is 72 degrees now and getting a burp every 1-1 1/2 seconds. I'm about 24 hours in to the fermentation now.

Next time wrap a wet towel around the FV and blow a fan on it. It will help drop the temp a couple degrees an hour. 80 is high, but not unforgivable.

Depends on the yeast but when I pitch hot like that and ferment warm 72 sounds about 4 degrees too high, I get some funky band aid/ metallic maybe? yeast flavors and it ruins the hop aroma/ flavor. I have become a huge fan of pitching 60-65 and holding it @ 64-66 ambient temp for the common american and english yeasts since you can assume its 4 degrees hotter in the fermenter.

Yeah if it does taste weird after primary you will just need to age it out, it will clear up.

Thanks guys for the replies and advice. I hope it will be ok. The yeast was the Muntons I believe that comes with these kits. Learned a valuable lesson.

Latest posts

Back