Hopalicious Beer Review...Ale Asylum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffman6000

Reaction score
OK, I checked into my hotel in Madison WI. The Colts/Jets game is on, gonna get a beer...I see a tap I don't recognize..gotta try it..Its called Hopalicious by a brewery 1 mile up the road called Ale Asylum. It really is one of the most amazing beers I've ever tasted. It is incredibly clean and clear, and has a great hoppy burst that dances on your toungue rather than blow you out. It is 5.8%ABV, so I'm comfortable after the first. By the third, I'm pretty happy. This beer is only distributed within a few miles of here, but be on the lookout, because its a GREAT beer. I looked at their website, http://aleasylum.com/, and they have 10 beers on tap, and very few are tame. Most are 7.5+ABV. I'm here for a few days and will be taking a tour and exploring their taproom while I'm here. They are very proud of their beer at $6.50/pint, but I was happy to pay it. I tested their porter, and it was good, but I'm not really a fan of porters....Very much reminded me of Sierra Nevada's porter with a little more chocolate to it.... After my tour, I'll report back...HIGHLY recommended.

Action Jackson is a great IIPA from this brewery! I have a hard time finding it, tried it last year. If anyone has an idea for for a home clone please post. Bedlam is another one of their great beers, IPA with a Belgium yeast.

Definitely one of my new favorites. I live in Iowa so this so close, yet so far away thing is a killer.

Ya...I have yet to have a bad beer from them. I thought the Hoppalicious was good but I think Madtown Nutbrown and the Ambergeddon are outstanding. One of my favorite breweries around here for sure. :rockin:

I think their beer has gotten better. I visited the old brewery in November of 2011 and the beer was okay, not great but not bad. And visited it again March 17th of 2012, and had the same opinion. I visited the new brewery when I was up there over Memorial Day weekend of this year and the beer was excellent. I particularly liked the hefe, very nice banana-y hefe. But the new brewery is very nice, swanky. Don't recall how much the beers were, but I don't think they were $6.50 at the brewery.

Back