Critique? Vanilla Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Hi all - I am teaching a fellow Mr. Beer brewer some of the ropes of extract 5 gallon brewing this weekend.... we wrote our own recipe from scratch.....

I've never done extract, only AG, so I'm not 'up' on the procedures. Does anyone feel like providing some constructive criticism? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

Code:
[B]Recipe: Nilly Vanilly Porter[/B]

Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: Extract

Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 27.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

[B]Steeping grains: (150F for 30 minutes)    [/B]
4.0 oz        Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)      
4.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)       
4.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)    
4.0 oz        Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)    
2.0 oz        Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) 

[B]Add to boil:[/B]
6 lbs         Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) (Boil 60.0 min)
2.00 oz       Vanilla Extract (Boil 1.0 min)              

[B]Hop Schedule:[/B]
1.00 oz       Goldings, U.S. [4.70 %]  (60 min)   
1.00 oz       Goldings, U.S. [4.70 %]  (15 min)     
0.50 oz       Goldings, U.S. [4.70 %]  (5 min)    

[B]Other:[/B]                   
1.00 oz       Vanilla Extract (Bottling 0.0 min)        Misc                       

1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (Fermentis #S-04)      Yeast-Ale

OK, leaving work now, guess it must be so good that nobody had anything!

Is 30 min the correct steep amount? At 150-155 deg F?

Not sure the Vanilla in the boil will do you any good. I have always added my extracts at bottling only.

That is how I have always done my steeping.

I agree with Gary, don't bother with the vanilla in the boil. Besides that it looks fine. I used the S-04 in my last porter it fermented out pretty quickly and cleanly, I definitely like it.

Sadly, the LHBS was out of S-04. Unless I wanna use my (only) reserve pack of S-04, we'll be using US-05 instead. US-05 still ferments pretty cleanly, if I recall...

Is it worth it to do 2 oz into secondary and 1 oz at bottling? Or all at bottling?

I guess I'm confused, why does Cheese's CVCA use it in the boil and in bottling? (I think he has it at last 10 minutes or flame-out)

Paging Cheese.........Cheese please report to the Vanilla robust porter thread. Hopefully he will be here soon.

The only brew I have added extract to is my blueberry wheat. When I was generating my recipe I was told that adding it at any other time then bottling would reduce the flavor and I get just a hint a blueberry as it is.

I am curious how yours turns out since I have been wanting to attempt a vanilla porter also.

GaryA said:
I am curious how yours turns out since I have been wanting to attempt a vanilla porter also.

I wasn't even planning on it - I'm currently devising a Pecan Scottish 80/-. My coworker approached me yesterday, because he was thinking about watching an AG batch anyways, and asked if I could help him do a Vanilla Porter from extract with a full boil. Of course, I said yes. :D

His goal is to come close to duplicating Empyrean Ales' Dark Side Vanilla Porter, one of the flagship beers from our local microbrewery/brewpub. http://www.telesis-inc.com/empyrean/beers.html

Back