Maple Syrup SMaSH (Kinda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2zr2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been brewing for about 5 years. I've made some good brews, a few great brews, and some terrible brews. Its all part of it right?

Anyway, my latest idea was a Maple Syrup Ale. One of my Uncles has a sugar house in his backyard and makes his own syrup. He gave me a gallon around Christmas time from his batch in 2011. Its pretty dark and tastes very good. I decided it would be pretty neat to brew a beer using his homemade syrup.

I am an extract brewer. I venture into Partial Mash with moderate success. One day I will step up to All Grain, but for now those dreams are on hold until I can build or somehow acquire a Brewtus 10 or similar single tier stand brew station.

So, here's what I did.

5lbs Light Dry Extract (3lbs @60 min 2lbs @ 15 mins)
1/2 oz Columbus Pellet Hops @ 60 mins
1/2 oz Columbus Pellet Hops @ 15 mins
2 cups Maple Syrup @ 15 mins (turned out to be 1lb 6.5oz)
I used us05 yeast, and made my first starter

IBUs were right around 36 if I recall. OG was 1.046. I will transfer to the secondary superbowl weekend, and bottle 2 weeks after that. Should be drinkable around March 10th.

I am going to add 1 cup maple syrup in the secondary and use the suggested 1.25 cups at bottling to prime. Not sure what to expect, I'm hoping its at least tasty and don't create bottle bombs...

I had brewed a few beers recently and there is a taste to them that I'm not fond of, so I stepped back to my roots. Simplified my recipe and I'm going to see how it comes out and slowly add things back like steeping grains/partial mashes etc.

I don't usually post here, but everyone here is such a wealth of knowledge, information, ideas and other DIY designs. I felt the need to share my lastest idea. I liked the SMaSH idea. I would like to start growing hops, but I'm unsure of which varieties I would like. I think this way of brewing will help me decide.

Anyone else sometimes take a step back and simplify their process?

Back