Suggestions Needed for Sink Set-Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverlandpark

Reaction score
During High School, I worked briefly in a fast food restaurant. While I was there I learned about the three sink set-up. You have a soap sink, a rinse sink, and bleach sink. While brewing yesterday, I was thinking that I would like build something similar for my beer equipment but only larger. My goal is to get better sanitation with less mess and waste. Has anybody else done something like this?

Sounds like it could be great, but with the quality no-rinse sanitizers like Star San out there, you have it all in one bucket.

Clean items in your sink, then dunk into Star San bucket. Done!

at one bar I worked in, we did a three sink set up for all the glassware with dish soap/stationary brush, clean water, iodaphor.

Worked great. Never had head retention issues or anything like that. Using bleach in the third sink would be a bad idea, as it needs a rinse if you're using it as a sanitizer for food products.

Could be a cool addition to a brew-hut or something like that! I'd check the out of business restaurants in the post bush economy ;)

Depending on you setup I think a soap sink, a rinse sink, and idophore/starsan sink would be a good idea.
I just prefer to soak in soap, hot rinse and then sanitize
Usually I have a bucket to do a long soak, then I do a quick rinse and run the bottles through the dish washer.
Then I sanitize right before filling.
Just remember, when you set it up, I would like to see pictures.

I get by with one sink. I have a 25 ft coil hose with a multi-nozzle garden sprayer on it. It's long enough to hose off the brewery floor if needed.

Using bleach in the third sink would be a bad idea, as it needs a rinse if you're using it as a sanitizer for food products.

For brewing equipment, yes I would rinse with pre-boiled water after sanitizing with a bleach solution. But, from a food safety perspective, you do not need to rinse after sanitizing with a chlorine-based sanitizer at the correct concentration... just "air dry".

For brewing equipment, yes I would rinse with pre-boiled water after sanitizing with a bleach solution. But, from a food safety perspective, you do not need to rinse after sanitizing with a chlorine-based sanitizer at the correct concentration... just "air dry".

Are you talking about cutting boards and that sort of thing? Good to know.

Yup. I was just about to say this as well. You will see many restaurants doing just this and all of their stuff has to be food safe.

Back