lid blew off what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWAMPER

Reaction score
Well just finished up a flying dog raging ***** clone and everything went well, I have it fermenting in a fermentation bucket with 3 piece air lock like I have always done but put it in the basement and the next day I stop down to see if I have any activity in the air lock and find that it blew the lid off the bucket !!! still can’t believe it was able to do that, the lid was sitting a couple feet away not sure when it happen or how long it was that way, I cleaned up the lid and sterilized it snapped it back on and refilled the air lock and it was bubbling like crazy in no time, so I rigged up a blow-off tube and a bottle filled with san-salutation, so the big question is will the beer survive ? never had this happen before and the yeast seem to be very health if not too health. What should I check for and look for to tell if the beer is contaminated

Thanks for the help

Chances are it's fine. If you had enough positive pressure to blow the lid there was enough to keep the nasties out as well.

You did everything you can do after a blow-off, including sanitizing the lid and making a blow-off tube.

Now you can only wait, watch, and smell your brew as it continues to do it's 'thang'. It's happened to all of us at one point or another, and it's just best to carry on as usual. The quick continuation of airlock activity is a good sign.

For the record, I can't remember reading about anyone actually HAVING a problem after a lid ejection... it seems they always turn out just fine. (Now it's time for folks to post that their brew was infected or ruined after having a blow off)

I'm guessing all is well with your tasty brew.

my quick new set up
IMAG0138.jpg

the yeast are still farting like crasy so i hope all is good, and it did have a nice layer of krausen on top as well

never had yeast go this crazy before :drunk: guess thats a good thing :ban:

Liquid or dry yeast? I've seen it happen only once with lallemand Danstar Munich ale yeast (dry), and I've yet to brew with liquid yeast. Been brewing for about 15 months....

A lid blow off is exactly the reason I didn't brew last week, a day before a week-long vacation in Florida. I could see coming back 7 days later and seeing my lid blown off :eek:

white lab liquid, hell have a hard time getting the lid off when i want to, must of been some good pressure built up

Back