Need help converting extract to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
I have a Belgian PA/IPA that I want to do. I have an extract recipe and I was hoping for some ideas to make it a partial mash. Also any input on the recipe is always appreciated. I am going for something light but not too light and I really like the American hops on the Belgian body. I don't want to dry hop because I want to keep this in the bottle for 3 or 4 months and break it out this summer.

Fermentables
6 lbs Pilsner LME
1 lbs Wheat DME
1 lbs Belgian Candi Sugar light
8 oz Crystal 20L
4 oz Acid Malt

Hops
2 oz Sterling 60 minutes
1 oz Ahtanum 15 minutes
1 oz Ahtanum 10 minutes
1 oz Ahtanum 5 minutes

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Does anyone think I should add any spice or orange peel or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Try useing beersmith. Look for it on the web and use the free trial. It will convert it for you.

I would suggest you do your first one or two extract to PM or AG manually. This gives you a clear picture of what is happening in the grain bill. It helped prepare me for AG brewing.

Here is a link to one of the most highly cited articles on how to do it. Even if you do use BrewSmith or similar to convert, this article will help explain the why's behind the conversion.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

This PDF is an article by Ken Schwartz, an influential homebrewer who's made a lot of contributions to our hobby over the past couple of decades. Here is his commentary on the purpose of the article (from his website):
"Extract brewers are often and unfairly maligned in some homebrewing circles. Extract brewers can make some truly outstanding beers, but it usually takes more than a can of hopped John Bull. This article describes methods to make an extract or extract-plus-mini-mash version of practically any all-grain recipe. Even if you just want to improve your extract beers, the information in this article should be helpful. Instructions on partial-mashing and equipment is included. This is an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) file containing the handout from my presentation at the National Hombrewers Conference in Portland, OR in July 1998."

Cheers

Back