Stabilization of Wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mead and a cyser going right now, but this applies to "wine" in general I think and I need to know what "the deal" is before I go on to talking to mead makers about specifics. I appreciate any slack y'all can cut me on the semantics of the questions. :)

For the purposes of long-ish (to a beer guy "long" is one year, maybe two) term storage, back sweetening, and a general desire to avoid bad stuff, I want to explore the process of stabilization. From what I understand, campden (some form of sulfate) and then traditionally sorbate is added and they have some sort of complimentary effect to this end.

Is the "typical" dosage for this purpose one campden (and how much is this in grams?) per gallon, and 1/2 tsp sorbate/gallon?

Because of the reported impact on taste (geraniums?) and the fact I have a sensitive and suggestible palate, I'd like to avoid sorbate. I have access to a large, potentially lifetime supply for everyone on this board, supply of potassium benzoate. I do not believe the hype surrounding benzoates and know I intake enough in other things that my wines and meads are not going to kill me. Unless someone wants to point out something I'm completely missing I think this is a good direction to go?

The question then is the dosage rates. I don't know how much a half teaspoon of sorbate weighs. Concentration of KBenz as a preservative is limited by the FDA in the U.S. to 0.1% by weight. If my calculations are right, one gallon (water) = 3782.96 g, and a 0.1% = 3.8g/gallon. does this seem right?

LBussy asked:
See ***

Is the "typical" dosage for this purpose one campden (and how much is this in grams?) per gallon, and 1/2 tsp sorbate/gallon?
***Campden tabs are available in a sodium or potassium base and by various manufacturer. They are premeasured tablets which you crush and add one per gallon. You would have to consult the brand you choose for gram measurements and the amount of S02 one tab contributes. LD Carlson's tabs contain 450mg of 'active' sulphite per tab and contribute 50ppm of free sulphur. I am thinking the manufacturer's vary on their amount of active ingredient, could be wrong. Also, most Campden tabs have fillers, part of the compounding process and many people will not add them to wine due to haze, etc. There is one marketed with 'no fillers' but I cannot remember who has it, or the brand. Many people, myself included, opt to use k-meta granules instead, and I have had different brands indicate 1/4 tsp for five gallons vs six gallons. But if using Campden for stabilizing for backsweetening most use 1 tab plus 1/2 tsp k-sorbate per gallon.

***It is always best to consult your label for dosing. Take a look at the various sulfites offered by LD Carlson, http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Chapter 07.htm

Because of the reported impact on taste (geraniums?) and the fact I have a sensitive and suggestible palate, I'd like to avoid sorbate.
***The geranium odor only comes into play when.sorbate is used on a wine which has undergone MLF. You can avoid MLF by keeping SO2 in adequate range, using Lysozyme. You can also pasteurize to stabilize for backsweetening. Loads of threads all over the web on use or k/na-benzoate, here is one that Jack Keller was involved in: http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/37911-use-of-potassium-benzoate-in-sweet-wine/

Thanks very much Sara! I suppose I should have realized that a max allowable dose and a recommended dose are very different. :) That thread discusses .44g/G so that's somewhere around 0.01%.

I did read several very good articles on pasteurization. I thought however it would be disappointing at least at an emotional level to have to resort to that if I went to all the trouble to protect one of my meads and the delicate aromas/tastes from heat. I guess chemicals is another potential source of disappointment.

I appreciate the time you took to reply, and thank you for the additional links.

I have roughly 90# of this stuff, I use it in one of my other hobbies. All food grade stuff so I'm unlikely to run out for wine. :)

Back