Gravity 1.038 Repitch Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
Our Black IPA did not finished due to user error. :) At this point, before dry hopping, can I repitch some 05? The SG was 1.089

Not knowing what the user error is, I would try to shake up the yeast cake and bring the temp up ~5 °F (but keep it below 75). Consistency is key here. Don't let the temp make big swings. If that fails after a few days I'd try the 05. Keep in mind that you'll be asking the new yeast to start working in an already alcoholic environment. As such, I'd do a mini-starter for the SF05. Give it about 6 hours in 1.040 wort at your target pitching temp before you put it in the beer. You want the yeast active before they hit the alcohol.

good luck!

Well.. we made a 30 gallon batch and put it in our 40 gallon fermenter... my buddy, who wont listen to me... lol... thought nothing was happening, so he dumped it into carboys 3 days after... :) So yup... user error... :)

Latest posts

Back