Using lyophilized fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
Hi everybody: I´ve been checking threads and using the search function but I didn´t find any info about this... Has anyone used liophilized fruit when brewing a fruit beer? It seems great just add a powder that´s 100% fruit with no additives. Not taking about just freezed fruit but freezing + vaccum fruit.
My english is not great so you probably call this some other thing I´m talking about the fruits in powder that are commonly used in molecular cuisine.
Any tips?

Freeze dried fruit I think you mean - frozen and vacuumed to remove water. I haven't used it myself. I don't see why you couldn't, but one consideration I would have would be that freeze dried fruit is considerably more expensive than fresh, by volume. Also, it is noticeably less fresh tasting, meaning that some flavor producing compounds are destroyed. One advantage I can think of is that it is likely sterile if used straight from a nitrogen flushed pack.

Freeze dried fruit I think you mean - frozen and vacuumed to remove water. I haven't used it myself. I don't see why you couldn't, but one consideration I would have would be that freeze dried fruit is considerably more expensive than fresh, by volume. Also, it is noticeably less fresh tasting, meaning that some flavor producing compounds are destroyed. One advantage I can think of is that it is likely sterile if used straight from a nitrogen flushed pack.

Freeze dried fruit it is then... liophilization it´s exactly that: freezing and aplying vacuum to dehidratate the fruit without applying heat it conserves most of the organoleptic properties of the fruit, it is expensive yes but I can get a hold on cheap stuff from friends at restaurants, Is still warm around here and I have to try something different thank you very much

Back