Propane Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carthik

Reaction score
any suggestions on an affordable burner suitable for 10 gallon batches? the Blichman is sexy but cost prohibitive.

I use a Bayou Classic sp2 dual jet burner. I got three brews out of a 20lb tank, but it was barely gonna make the boil for the last one but it did. I like it because It will heat strike water real fast, and gets the boil going in about 8-10 minutes from mashout temps. However, it is very loud but puts out an impressive amount of heat. I don't think it is too efficient at low power, but it works great.

I think the Bayou SP-10 is the best bang for the buck personally. It's a little loud and not as fuel efficient as some others, but it's cheap and puts out a ton of heat. One downside is that the stand isn't wide enough for a keggle without modification.

I use an SQ-14 with a heat shield. Works pretty darn good. Brings 12 gallons to a boil pretty easily.

Bayou banjo burner. Ithink they are like 50 bucks at brewmasters warehouse with a stand. That's what I use for both my hot and boil kettle. Boils 10gal like a champ! I get easily 5 brews off a propane tank

here is some interesting info on the blichmann burners
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html
click on burner data to get some info on fuel consumption/boil times for blichmann and competitors

anybody know exactly what the burner IS? i don't know anything about this stuff but it looks just like any old banjo burner to me.

so here's a question... i am now buying kegs to convert into keggles but will any of these burner not fit that?

so here's a question... i am now buying kegs to convert into keggles but will any of these burner not fit that?

You need to add a $10 grill from Home Depot or otherwise modify the stand for the Bayou Classic SP-1, SP-2, or SP-10 to be able to securely support a keggle. The SQ-14 holds a keggle well as is, and I think most of the banjo models (KAB4, KAB6, etc.) do too.

I had a Bayou SP10 and it worked great with my 9 gallon kettle. Whe I got the keggle, I knew I'd need something taller because I gravity drain into my fermenter. The SP50 is identical, but longer legs.

Height is important because you won't want to lift ten-plus gallons of boiling wort or move it around much.

It is a hair too small in diameter for the keggle. I plan on bolting three pipe nipples around the outside to sit the keggle rim on.

The nice thing about the Blichmann burner is that you have the option to do propane or natural gas with the optional fitting.

Back