How do i use oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perschml

Reaction score
I found oak chips at the local brew shop and I have my first 5 gallons of apfelwein going and also another batch of fruit juice wine. I thought about flavoring a gallon of each with oak chips but have no idea how to do it...

Any thoughts suggestions or instructions on how to use them to season wines?

Thanks for the input!!!

The easiest way to use oak is to drop them into a carboy and rack the wine into it. Some oaks are "stronger" than others. I like to use a medium American oak, usually about 1 ounce in 5 gallons for a couple of weeks.

dont leave the chips in for too long! i would taste it every couple of days it can change alot in a week.

I just posted a similar response to a guy asking about various oaks over in the Brew forum... Anyways, look into the various "infusion spirals," they have the advantage of being hung from the bung... okay, bad pun.... but seriously they can be suspended from the top of a carboy with a sanitized monofilament line (or whatever) and removed whenever you want, rather than having to rack off the chips.

Back