Need your thoughts asap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
So our Scottish Ale brewed with Heather Tips is turning out amazing! However I have a concern or maybe just a question. We used Edinburgh yeast and had an OG of 1.050...we let it go in the primary for a week in which the first couple of days the yeast went NUTS!! It is now in the secondary for not even a full week yet but I just took a reading and taste taste and the reading was already at 1.012! Is this normal? Can we bottle if we want? Our FG target was 1.015!! Havent worked with Edinburgh yeast before so not sure how normal this is...thanks!
Also does it make a huge difference if you take the OG reading in the primary bucket and then do a test in a small glass tube? Just curious if what you test in matters..thanks

Fermentation for an ale is usually done after a week. I would still recommend you leaving it alone for a couple more weeks than bottle. A good rule of thumb for bottling is to have consistent hydrometer readings a few days in a row. Sounds like you have that, but the yeast are still working to 'clean up' your brew.

The yeast are still working for you, leave it for a while.

The longer you can make yourself leave it (try 4 weeks), the less sediment will end up in the bottle, making it easier to pour a clear beer. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of yeast to carbonate in the bottle.

That is exactly what I figured...We went 4 weeks with our stout in the secondary, granted we were aging with an oak chip...but I figured we would do the same with this ale as well even though we were not throwing in anything into the secondary...

It's perfectly normal for a yeast to attenuate a couple of points higher or lower than the expected final gravity. IMHO, the time to start looking at your process and recipe is when you are off by more than 10 points or are off one way consistently by more than 5 points.

Obviously whoever posted this when they said they wanted response asap they figured by posting it in more than one location they would get it more asap-ish. Personally I only visit two of the sections here. If seeing the post more than one place puts a ripple in your day, you probably need to RDWH5HB

Back