First Batch DISASTER!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigin31

Reaction score
Ok so I made my first batch of all grain thinking that it would come out somewhat tasty with low ABV. Well it didnt quite make that category. At first whif it smells like good beer. After tasting it was very watery and almost has nil alcohol. Can some one tell me where I went wrong?

Brought 3 pounds grain and one gallon water to 155 and held for 60 minutes. Sparged and placed into boil pot. Without adding water I boiled the wort for 60 minutes added hops in increments for flavoring. I did not cover the boil. When the boil was finished I had about a half gallon of liquid left. I poured the half gallon of wort into 4 quarts of cool water to chill. Topped off with a little more water to bring the batch to about 2 gallons and sprinkled dry yeast in. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then stirred vigorously to aerate and closed her up to ferment. She has been in primary since sunday. I was really excited so I pulled a taste test today and to my surprise.....cloudy water. Someone please help. Do I need to primary longer? Pour it out and start over?

Ideally you want to figure out what your preboil volume is so by the time the boil is over, you end up with what your final batch size. I normally boil off about 2 gallons in an hour boil. In your case, you probably wanted to have about 3.5-4 gallons preboil volume. Also, 3 pounds of grain for 2 gallons gives you a SG of plus or minus 1.042 at 75% efficiency. Did you check your gravity? I would recommend leaving in the primary for at least 1 more week before checking it.

Well, if you made a half gallon of beer (the amount of wort you made) and then added a gallon and a half of water to it, you made near-beer.
If you add water to wort, you water it down.

If you want to make three gallons of beer, you'd probably have to start with about 4 gallons of water. You'd mash the grain in 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain (probably at least 5 pounds of grain, depending on what you're making) and then sparge to get about 4.25 gallons of wort. You'd boil it, and cool it, and then add yeast.

If you only used 3 pounds of grain, and had a 1/2 gallon of wort, you added way too much water after the boil. You should do it so that you have three gallons of boiled wort (not any top off water). I calculate that 3 pound of grain in a 3 gallon batch would give you an OG of 1.025 or so, or about 1.5% ABV.

Also, you will need a mix of base malt and specialty grains. What grains did you use?

Thanks for your advice. I upped the amount of grain for my number two batch to 6lbs. Wort came out outstanding. For base I used 4 lbs wheat and specialty I used 2 lbs biscuit. Great combo I might add.

Back