Secondary Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyc88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be aging one of my regular recipes of an Oatmeal Stout for a long time in a Secondary. I was wondering, how do I know how much yeast to re-pitch before bottling?

What is a long time?

I wouldn't even think about re-yeasting for bottling unless the beer was over 6 months old.

Half a pack of dry for 5 gallons would do fine.

What is a long time?

I wouldn't even think about re-yeasting for bottling unless the beer was over 6 months old.

Half a pack of dry for 5 gallons would do fine.

Well, I want to make sure I don't pitch too much and get bottle bombs - but I was gonna age it for ~200 days. So a long time.

in this case you can not add too much yeast and get bottle bombs so dont worry about this part, add 4-5g of dry and high alcohol tolerance yeasts at bottling day. If you think you may get bottle bombs (due to unfinished fermentation) you will get it with any amount of yeast if they survive alcohol level, nice trick i like is to add yeast (i would use champagne yeast for bottle carbing beer like that) to your carboy a day before bottling, if you see activity then wait till it stops and then bottle with priming sugar but most of the time you can just bottle the next day with priming sugar

Mattyc88 said:
Well, I want to make sure I don't pitch too much and get bottle bombs - but I was gonna age it for ~200 days. So a long time.

Bottle bombs are not caused by too much yeast, but by too much sugar. When I long-age a beer, I add a couple of grams of dry yeast at bottling and it works great.

Back