fresh hop ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijones

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to join. Here is my first post.

I will be using fresh hops for the second time to make an IPA. Here is the Recipe I plan on using. I would like some feedback on what everyone thinks!

12.25 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Wheat malt
.5 lbs Caramel 20L
.25 lbs Caramel 60L

1 oz Warrior hop pellets 60 Min
5 oz Centennial fresh 10 Min
5 oz Simcoe Fresh 5 Min
5 oz Citra Fresh 0 Min
5 oz Citra Fresh Secondary

Wyeast 1056

Wanted to add that this is a new recipe i put together in Beer Tools and have never brewed it before.

Looks good & tasty!

I just brewed my fresh hops pale ale this past weekend .. getting to dry hop tonight.

#9 US 2-row Pale
#1 Vienna
#1 Crystal 40
0.5 oz Millenium pellets (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo pellets (20 min)
1.0 oz Cascade fresh hop (8 min)
1.0 oz Cascade fresh hop (2 min)
1.0 oz Cascade fresh hop (0 min)
1.0 oz Nugget fresh hop (0 min)
2.0 oz Cascade fresh hop (dry hop)
WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast

Using the store-bought pellet hops with known AA% for bittering additions and fresh picked hops for flavor & aroma.... :tank:

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Where'd you get fresh Citra and Simcoe?

I mean, I know you're in Yakima, so did you just sneak around the fields and pick 'em yourself?

I'm sure it will be amazing. Port Brewing's High Tide is the only fresh hop ale I've ever had with fresh Simcoe. I don't think I've seen any commercial examples of fresh Citra ales.

how do you guys think fresh hops would be in a randal?? i'm doing my fresh hop in a couple weeks and have a party in october that i'm going to try and keep some hops on the plant for

I spoke with a couple local farmers and they are giving me hops Simcoe from one farm and Citra from another. The hop farmers around here are all very friendly the Simcoe fields have already been picked but he told me where they are and said to take what i need and that there is plenty in the corners that did not get picked. The farmer with the Citra is going to call me today and let me know what time to meet him tomorrow at his shop and he will pull some off of the trucks coming from the fields. Living in Yakima has it's advantages!!

If you are going to be entering this in the FHAF homebrew competition you might want to drop the late pellet addition.

I changed this recipe to fit guidelines of the FHAF competiton. Using all flavor and aroma hops fresh!

Latest posts

Back