Can I save my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saffellm

Reaction score
So I bought a gallon of fresh unpasteurized cider and added a packet of dry yeast. Absolutely no activity. So I added some sugar and repitched more yeast. Even more no activity. Then I read the cider ingredients (should have done this first) and saw that they add potassium sorbate to maintain freshness. Pretty sure this is preventing the yeast from activating. Is there anything I can do at this point besides rack it, and drink 2 week old super-sweetened, yeasty flavored cider?

So I bought a gallon of fresh unpasteurized cider and added a packet of dry yeast. Absolutely no activity. So I added some sugar and repitched more yeast. Even more no activity. Then I read the cider ingredients (should have done this first) and saw that they add potassium sorbate to maintain freshness. Pretty sure this is preventing the yeast from activating. Is there anything I can do at this point besides rack it, and drink 2 week old super-sweetened, yeasty flavored cider?

I believe that the preservative prevents yeast from reproducing and doesn't actually kill live yeast. My recommendation would be to get a large, healthy starter going and pitch that in, it will probably start up in no time.

Cheers

HW

Yup. Not worth the effort. Get better cider.

As for the sorbated cider, rather than choking it down.
Potassium Sorbate can be used in baking to preserve the life of baked goods ... use the sorbated cider as the wet ingredients.

For the holiday you could produce a number of very-long-life fruitcakes. Heirloom quality. Brandy soaked and passed generation to generation.

I would just dump it, or mix it in with a larger batch that has already been started for a couple days.

Thanks to all who have given me advice. I think we will be enjoying a mix of mulled cider and apple cider pound cake this Christmas with the non-dregs I am able to salvage. Cheers

Back