ph testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eapicella

Reaction score
hi everyone was wondering your feelings on ph testing after primary and also after secondary. I recently was at a brewery and saw brewmaster testing ph to rule out infection. I think this is exactly what i need to do because anytime i get the slightest off taste i scream infection even when others are telling me its fine. SO i called my lhbs and they have strips. When should I test and what are the ranges im looking for in the different stagges of fermentation and serving? thank you thank you

Let's say you will discover possible infection after primary, what you can do about it?

But pH strips are useful while mashing.

thats tru but i would like to follow the level step by step , do you test ph? what level is normail for your average ale?

I am a noob but here is what I know about pH testing

1. Test the pH of your brew water before you start brewing
- Depending on the beer style it may vary a little but it should be close to 5.2

2. Test the pH of the fresh beer (just after you add water to the complete wort)
- I do this just before I pitch the yeast into the primary fermenter

As for testing the pH to see if there is an infection – this is a new one for me. I hope that someone with knowledge of this can comment.
I would like to know the answer to what can be done if you find an infection

1. Test the pH of your brew water before you start brewing
- Depending on the beer style it may vary a little but it should be close to 5.2

Not exactly, is it wiser to check ph after you dought-in the grains, they contribute a lot in pH lowering, ecpecialy the darker ones.

Second time I check pH is the sparge water, it should be below 6. Actually now I'm just addig roughly 1ml of poshphoric acid per gallon.

Sometimes I also check pH of wort before hoping, I've heard it should be around 5.3 for best hoping results.

Latest posts

Back