Just mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthMainMeadery

Reaction score
Starting out my adventure into mead making and so far it's as amazing as I thought it would be. Bottled my first batch a week ago.. A show mead.. Made from a total volume must of 3 gallons... 7.5# clover honey and 5g 71b .. Will enjoy a glass in about 2 months after it ages.

I am also currently fermenting a pomegranate melomel with a total volume of 3 gallons using 10# of clover honey and 2 large bottles of Pom wonderful using again 71b yeast

I live sandwiched between 3 large honey producers so mead was an easy choice.

I would love feedback and ideas to try

Gratz on the bottled mead. The hobby is addicting isn't it? There are endless combinations of mead to try. But I think everyone should experience fermenting a JAOM. Check out the original recipe here:

JAOM recipe

And do not change a thing on the recipe. It must be followed exactly to work.

Looks great and I enjoy show meads... I was also curious of different yeasts to use even bakers yeast to go with an old world recipe before there were different yeasts available widely.

Well JAOM is one that is a more "old school" and does use the bakers yeast and some plain materials found at the grocery store.

If you just like traditionals then you may want to look into a Bochet.

It is just honey water and yeast and possibly nutrients with the twist that you caramelize the honey first. I do 2-3 part water to one part honey in a large pot, get it to boil then reduce heat to lowest setting over a 1.5 - 2 hour period stirring constantly. You have to be on top of it because honey expands 4X it's original volume when boiling. You pitch the honey, top up with water and add any additional nutrients. Pitch the yeast and let her rip. often this turns out as a sweet mead with caramel/toffee hints.

That sounds terrific ill definitely have to try that... I currently have enough equipment to ferment 22 gallons of assorted meads so there is def room for that recipe in there somewhere... Thanks for the great tips

I started a 3 gallon must of JAOM because it looked so good as a single gallon I had to up the size, and set it away in a secret dark location where it's magic can take place. I'm also about to start a 5 gallon must of vanilla mead and I'm wondering how many vanilla beans to use to give it a subtle yet noticeable flavor... Any suggestions?

Arpolis said:
One split vanilla bean per 2 gallons did that for me in a prior batch.

Good to know how subtle or bold was the flavor of the vanilla and I was planning on fine chopping them and steeping it in warm water to get it to release first when did you add yours during primary or secondary?

I used one bean in one gallon during secondary for a very pronounced flavour. I would do as was suggested(1 in two gallons) for a more subtle flavour, add it in secondary and just slit the beans lengthwise. The alcohol will extract all the flavour you want .

Good to know how subtle or bold was the flavor of the vanilla and I was planning on fine chopping them and steeping it in warm water to get it to release first when did you add yours during primary or secondary?

Mine was added in primary but there were many other spices like cardamom, ginger, all spice, cinnamon & nutmeg so the flavors all just blended well. It had a nice taste but nothing jumped out and said vanilla. All I did was split it down the middle. Scrape out the seeds. Added both the seeds and pod to primary.

Good to know ill prob end up adding it in both the primary and secondary so it screams vanilla in the face of its imbibers

I am a free member and can do it. If the pic is on your computer use the paper clip button and just upload it there and attach it.

So am I. Just post a reply, but before you hit send, hit the + button at the top, then tell it to add a picture.

Little update

Racked a 5 gallon strawberry, banana, apple melomel/ cyser into the secondary
5 gallon cranberry melomel in primary still and planning on racking it in a few days when the sg reaches 1.010

Nice, getting ready to bottle JAOM and a Cherry Berry melomel. Next up will be a spiced pear melomel, grandmas liquid apple pie, and I think Im gonna try a chocolate mead.

Starting a kombucha after my active culture arrives and I'm thinking of trying to use the pure leaf brand tea that's already mixed and un-preserved, tho I would live to make a chai as well

Starting a kombucha after my active culture arrives and I'm thinking of trying to use the pure leaf brand tea that's already mixed and un-preserved, tho I would live to make a chai as well

A kombucha wine or just regular kombucha tea (KT)? All that honey, you need a Jun culture. I love KT but adore Jun. Good group on FB, Kombucha Nation.

I'm going to do one or two or each actually one with a scoby then one with wine yeast to see the difference

Back