Imperial Honey IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jathorp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68ish
Tasting Notes
TBD
Imperial Honey IPA

Ingredients:
12.5 # american 2 row
1# Light Munich Malt
.75# Crystal 60L
.25# white wheat
.25# Special B
.25# honey malt
1 # honey @ flame out.

Hops:
1 oz Simcoe 12.7% @ 90 minutes
1 oz Amarillo 7.2% @ 30 minutes
2 oz Amarillo dry hop for 14 days.

single step infusion at 156 for 75 minutes.

I just put this recipe together this afternoon and it's currently boiling away on my stove. I'll update once I've bottled and tasted. -- I just felt like sharing. It smells fantastic. :ban:

Careful, that honey might sweeten that IPA a bit. Happy to see the dry hop. Keep us posted.

I don't think it'll come out sweet. That US-05 will destroy that honey. I like to use honey to bring up alcohol content sometimes, and it usually works out good for me. Use flavored honey to impart different flavors, and the same goes for molasses/maple syrup. They put a good twist on browns/porters/stouts in my opinion. I recommend (god knows i haven't yet) doing a couple smash brews to test the flavors imparted with each. I will try to get on that before too long. Happy brewing all. Cheers!:mug:

This beer needs more hops. It's still sitting in the primary, but it isn't bitter enough for my taste -- maybe I'm a blooming hop head. It's good, but it's just not 200 IBUs.

I'm going to brew this again and I'm going to double up on all of the hops and I'm going to change the simcoe to FWH and add the Amarillo at 45 minutes. Maybe I'll add something at 15, just for fun. I'll revisit this recipe a few brews from now.

Suggestions welcome.

I would use the original grain bill and this hop schedule.
1oz Simcoe - FWH
1oz Magnum - 60
1oz Simcoe - 30
1oz Amarillo - 15
1oz Amarillo - 3
1oz Amarillo - Dry

Should get you about 100 IBUs and some great hop flavor and aroma

Greg,

That seems like a great modification -- I think I'll give it a go.

I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm curious why you kept the amarillo at the end. Does the amarillo give a better smell? Or does it get overpowered when it's boiled longer?

Thanks for your help.

amarillo hops are more for flavor and aroma. they're nor bred for bittering. they taste good, and have good aroma, but aren't oily, which is what provides the hop bitterness

Back