Specialty Fruit Beer Dark Orange Wheat (PM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonbrewlab

Reaction score
Full disclosure - this was a fire sale beer as my LHBS was marking down product like crazy to reduce inventory from last year. I made this to neuter (turn into an NA or nearly NA), so I haven't tried the bottles of regular strength beer I set aside to age. However, everyone who has tried this has really liked it.

Characteristics: Fruity, slightly sweet, smooth, hints of orange, cocoa, and coffee. Drinks lighter than the color suggests.

Batch Size - 5 gal
OG - 1.054
SRM - 15 (darker
Ingredients

-Mash/Grain bill-
Munich Malt - 2 lbs
Red Wheat - 1 lb
Smoke Malt - 4 oz
Caramel 80L - 2 oz
Chocolate Malt - 2 oz

-other fermentables-
Dark LME - 3.3 lbs
Wheat LME - 3.3 lbs

-Hops-
Cluster - .5 oz @ 60 min, .5 oz @ 30 min

-Other-
Zest/rind (no pith) of one orange at flameout

-Yeast-
Any clean ale yeast - I usually use US-05 or Muntons Gold. A wheat or spicy yeast could be interesting, too.

Process - I did my grains as a BIAB starting with 3.5 gallons of water (divided between stoke and sparge), mashing at about 156 for 45 min. It was 5-10 below 0 on brew day and my first time with my cooker so I had temp control issues. Add the remaining water as you add extract or top up. Volume in the fermenter should be around 5.5 gal.

Other notes - I had to make some last minute audibles with the grain. Next time I would likely skip the smoke, sub Caramel 80 for a lower Lovibond, and up either the red wheat or the Munich (mind you, it still turned out very well). If you don't plan on neutering this beer, it would definitely benefit from a finishing hop addition to compliment the orange.

Color is much darker than the 15 I am getting on Wort, but it gets a nice copper color in light.

I did 3 weeks primary and then bottled at 1 oz/gal for priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back