Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
11 days ago, I bottled my 1.096 OG, 1.020 FG IIPA.

I pitched half a pack of US-04 into my bottling bucket just in case there werent enough yeasts left in suspension to carb these babies up.

It is a really BIG IIPA, lots of malt flavors and a touch of oak chips for the last few days. The flavor is awsome, and I wanted just a light carbonation. I was planning on 2.5 oz of corn sugar for my 5Gal batch. This would give me about 1.8 volumes, a nice medium-light carbonation. I got home and could not find my corn sugar. I have no idea where it went!

So I went for table sugar.

1 cup of granular table sugar is supposed to equal 7oz of sugar. So, my closest measuring cup was 1/3 of a cup or 2.33 oz of sugar. So a hair lighter in carbonation, no big deal I thought and sprinkled a bit more in to compensate. I obviously boiled this and cooled and then added to my bottling bucket after about 1/2 gal of beer had been transfered.

So here we are 11 days later, and it has been sitting in a 65-69 degree bathroom, and almost no signs of carbonation. a small pfft when it is opened but with a really vigorous 1 foot tall pour into the bottom of the glass, no head to speak of, maybe a few tiny rising bubbles.

I assume I just need to wait longer and hope it finally warms up outside so that my bathroom gets warmer.

Any other experiences bottle carbing with 1/3 cup of kitchen sugar plus a teaspoon or so?

Thanks,
Paul

I assume I just need to wait longer

Yes. 11 days isn't enough for most beers. Your carbing yeast are probably a little sluggish due the alcohol bath. Give them time. 10 more days, minimum.

Also, did you chill the beer you tested? This will also make a difference, as more CO2 will dissolve in colder beer.

Yes, I chilled before I tasted probably 45 degrees or so. What difference does that make? Maybe the CO2 disolves into the beer and then dosnt come out in terms of carbonation??? Not sure here, maybe you can clarify what this would have done.

Anyways, even served still, it was delicious!!!!

It is going to be tough to wait for this one. I always like to have a few right after it is done, just to make sure it worked and it is good. Then I can be patient enough to let the big beers rest for a while.

-Paul

1. 11 days, not enough
2. higher abv = longer to prime
3. sub 70F conditioning temps = longer to prime
4. that's really low CO2 volumes...might be undercarbed in the long run.

give it at least 2 more weeks at 70F before you try to pass judgement. even then, that may only be starting to carbonate.

as for chilling: you need to chill your beer at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. the beer needs to be cold first, then it starts absorbing the CO2 in the headspace of the bottle.

as tempting as it is, a beer that big NEEDS time. exercise some patience.

cool,

as for a low volume, I want it to pour with just a bit of head, maybe 1/4" or so. It tastes so big and complex that it is almost good with no carb. Too much carb would ruin it. Picture something like a bigfoot ale or a North Coast Old Stock Ale. Just a bit of head...

Bottling mantra...pass it on:

21 days at 70+ degrees

21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees

Alright, we are at 14 days now, and I had to turn on my heat because it is so cold in Chicago, so the temp sensor in the box of bottles actually was at 70 degrees, rather than 66-67 degrees.

Hopefully these will get done a little sooner with the heat additions this week and hopefully some warmer temps next week.

It seems like my pale ales of about 1.050 got done in like 6 or 7 days before, but that is when the heat was running and keeping the bottles in the closed bathroom at 73 or 74 degrees.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Alright, we are at 14 days now, and I had to turn on my heat because it is so cold in Chicago, so the temp sensor in the box of bottles actually was at 70 degrees, rather than 66-67 degrees.

Hopefully these will get done a little sooner with the heat additions this week and hopefully some warmer temps next week.

It seems like my pale ales of about 1.050 got done in like 6 or 7 days before, but that is when the heat was running and keeping the bottles in the closed bathroom at 73 or 74 degrees.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Give those cases a gentle rocking back and fort every day or so. That will rouse the yeast and get them working harder/faster.

Like everyone else said...longer...warmer...rock/swirl the cases.

That being said, I just had a honey-amber ale carb in my 68F basement in 7-days...with only one swirl/rock of the cases. I was stunned.

-Todd

So, it has been 27 days now. No carbonation.

A few days ago, I added 1/4 tsp of sugar and a few new grains of yeast to 6 of the bottles. They are at least somewhat carbed now. WOW, this is one good beer!!!

I added a heaping 1/4 to the rest of the bottles today.
-Paul

Back