PH level on a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
How important is keeping the PH at proper levels when brewing an AG stout? In my 3 previous AG's I didn't even bother to check because so much other stuff was going on. Needless to say, my effeciency was low every time (70%). I have PH strips, but how and when should I use them. How can I make adjustments if I need to during my brew process?

darker grains will lower ph. however if you find your ph getting too low you can just steep the dark grains rather than using them in the mash itself. if your ph is way off or unpredictable use some ph buffer.

also 70% is not really bad. 75-80 is good for home brewers and that 5-10% isnt going to break your bank. consistency is more important than a couple dollars of grain.

The problem I've run into with my ph strips in a dark beer is that they all look like a shade of brown, and with brown wort it's really hard to see the differences!

Back